Monday, June 10, 2013

REVIEW: Atom™ - HD

8.75 out of 10

I wish I could say I've been following Atom™ since the beginning, and that I owned the (seriously expansive) entire discography of Uwe Schmidt's work, but that's just not true. The truth is I didn't come across his work until 2009's 'Liedgut', which is a perfect piece of minimalistic IDM heaven that I cherish/own in it's "special edition" format of course. Since that release I have been following Atom™ as much as possible, keeping up isn't too tough, but there really is a lot of terrific material there and it feels like its nearly impossible to have enough time to truly absorb it's genius. His music is unpredictable. Electronic? Yes. But within a new realm of experimentations on every new release. On 'HD' Mr. ™ has perfected Sci-Fi Tech-Pop, I personally REALLY love the form of Artsy-Electronica presented within 'HD'. It looks like I'm going to have to invest in another special edition..

First of all, let's get this out of the way.. 'HD' isn't just another "Kraftwerkian" homage/album. It's something way beyond that brand of "Smart Techno" in a much more distant future kind of way. If "Pop" music doesn't sound like this by the year 3012 I don't want to live on this planet anymore. I probably won't be alive. ..although my goal of living forever is going pretty good so far, so who knows? ::ahem:: 'HD' starts with a peculiar vocal track that sounds very obscure and peculiar/warming to the nerves (yeah, it sounds weird but trust me). "POP ESHDEEEEE!" From there the tracks stay (and stray) on a path of total robotic submission. The track with Jamie Lidell is pretty smooth, it sort of reminds me of "old school Lidell" aka "perfect Futurist Funk". And the song following that.. "Empty", oh man the message is just so cynical and spot on (LOVE IT.). German IDM through the mind of an Abstract Futurist; Uwe Schmidt you've got my full attention from here on out, please give me more releases just like this.

IMPORTANT SIDE NOTE: Atom™'s music is meant for quality speakers and/or headphones (please invest!). It's a "short" LP, but really terrific most of the way through. You won't believe what kind of tones and textures you'll pick up if fully immersed. 'HD' is one the best forms of Electronic Intelligent music I've heard in a long time and you'd be a damned fool to not take my word on that. ╠╢╪GԢLӴ RECOMMENDED.

Standout Tracks: Pop HD, Strom, Empty, Riding The Void (yeah, I imagine it sounding like this), Stop (Imperialist Pop), Ich Bin Meine Maschine

No comments:

Post a Comment