Monday, March 18, 2013

REVIEW: Makeup And Vanity Set - 88:88

8.75 out of 10

I can't say I know a whole lot about Makeup And Vanity Set (other than it "mainly" just being one dude who's really obsessed with "vintage" Sci-Fi Soundtrack work). In-fact I was definitely a little late on the ball with this release in particular (which came out in May '12), I've got a lot of catching up to do apparently.. No matter, anything that sounds like Chromatics crossed w/ M83 and/or Daft Punk is a-ok to me.. Better late than never right?

'88:88' is actually a soundtrack to an independent movie. The atmosphere bleeds upbeat and futuristic right off the bat (like a more sensual Disco-Tech). It then slowly transcends into moody midnight desert drive music (kind of dark & mysterious), then back again to modern Spacey Synth Pop. The songs fluctuate as the album progresses, much like the narration of the character who is losing control of her own life in said film. '88:88', in all honesty, is one of the best soundtracks I've heard in recent years, and I only hope more and more artists follow in Makeup's path.

Highly [Super-Duper-Seriously Spaced-Out Just-Go-Out & Buy-This-Right-Now™] Recommended.

Standout Tracks: The Cross, Homecoming (Featuring Jasmin Kaset), Val

No comments:

Post a Comment