Monday, January 7, 2013

REVIEW: Grischa Lichtenberger - And IV (Inertia)

9 out of 10


Buzzzzzzzzzz-thump-clap-echo-drilling-synth-white-noise-all-in-unison breathing life/existing because of the others existence. Grischa Lichtenberger's 'And IV (Inertia)' is an intimate look into a very complex machine (machine being man..maybe).

I'm not sure what the purpose of the device is (if it isn't droid related), nor do I think I could comprehend it, but one thing is very certain; it's very menacing. Ambient-IDM/Glitch-Factory Noise is a unique art from that not many people have mastered (Autechre, Aphex Twin, Ben Frost to name a few), but every once in a while an artist comes along that just floors me. It tears my conscience thoughts a part and re-forms them into it's own entity. Grischa Lichtenberger is a master mind coordinator of sounds, 'And IV (Inertia)' is his opus (and it's only his second release thus far--this guy is going to be massive). It's his first official LP for Raster Noton (whom you know is home to some of THE best electronic artists out there), it only makes sense that he would call RN his home (a good pairing indeed). Mr. Lichtenberger creates field recordings from his own environment, he then disects-destroys, and pastes them back together in one of the most complex factory-assembled sounding Industrial-Ambient beat-patterns that I've ever heard. Im sorry, I wish I could speak more intelligently about Grischa's sound, but I don't think any amount of thesaurus-ing could bring justice to how f^&*ing brilliant this is. Grischa, where have you been all my life?

Hey Chris Cunningham, I've got a new project for you.. THIS-IS-ABSOLUTELY-ESSENTIAL.

Standout Tracks: AlLlL-ESPECIALLY; 1110_01_Lv_1b (on repeat), 1210_08_Lv_4+, 1011_27_# 5b, Rearr Re, 0611_29_1b (the transition from this track to the next--yes.), 1011_22_Lv_1b, 0311_01 Re 0510_24, Ssfl (so peaceful)

No comments:

Post a Comment