Monday, November 12, 2012

EIC's 10Q's w/ Martin Eden

"..late night industry grind mixed with a hint of Neo Futuristic fated sound.."


Martin Eden
Post Bliss Commerce

Martin Eden Bio:
Matthew Cooper started making music under the name Eluvium in 2003, and since then we have never known what to expect from each release: minimal ambience, solo piano, modern classical, static noise, stately and sonorous pop. Restlessness, restfulness, wonder, and wanderlust. Emotionally direct, and emotionally indirect. A listen to the Eluvium catalog is a wide-eyed stroll through a museum of different eras of the human experience. The diversity of sounds has been held together with a gorgeous but beguiling unity that always lets you know that Eluvium is your guide along this stroll.  It was a bit of a surprise to hear that Cooper’s latest project would be released under a different name, but a listen to that project makes the reasoning evident. It is a world of off-kilter beats and unidentifiable instrument loops and keyboard swells. It somehow manages to be cold and alien and warm and human.  The name for this new world of sound is Martin Eden.


 Hello, how are you?
Getting over a cold unfortunately - otherwise doing well..

What are you currently listening to?
I'm mixing the new Eluvium record at the moment, so I haven't had much time to listen to anything else - but some things that have been recently played around here in the last few months are: Gonzales 'Solo Piano 2', Max Richter 'Recomposed/The Four Seasons', the Yo La Tengo catalogue, Burial 'Kindred/Street Halo' Rachel's 'Systems/Layers Radiolab'

How long has this "side project" been in the works? Was there something that prompted it?
It's been a long time coming I think - I've been craving the chance to work outside of the Eluvium world -- I think the final straw - oddly - was one day I was reading my book at a local brewery and 'Computer World' was playing - a record I've heard hundreds of times - but for some reason - I kind of thought to myself - "that's it,.. I'm making an Electronic record"

What is the general theme behind "Dedicate Function"?
The most important part of it was for me to have fun doing something completely different - the pursuit of playfulness and discovery but there are clearly underlining tones and thoughts suggested by the project name  - people might only get that part if they have read the book - but it may also just be created out of my personal feelings towards the book - there are multiple themes dealing with artistic integrity / machine operated life / as well as feeling accepted and what may or may not come from that in the end -these things are little hints at something..

Any plans to tour for said release?
Not likely on this release - though I'm open to unusual offers - definitely for the next Eluvium - and hopefully when the next Martin Eden record happens..

Got any other projects we should know about?
I just finished sanding and re-staining my deck  - it took a pretty serious effort..

What movie would work best on mute while listening to you music? 
I honestly have no idea.

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be? 
Whatever it is, I'm sure I'd grow a little tired of it..

Are you living your dream? 
Very close to it.

Thanx Gloria and Matthew (er-um "Martin";)!

Martin Eden recently released his debut album for Lefse Records, be sure to absorb that for all it's worth...

No comments:

Post a Comment