Monday, October 8, 2012

EIC's 10Q's w/ Aspidistrafly

"..something that is more gorgeous than gorgeous is about to reveal itself.."


Aspidistrafly
Quiescent Coppice Allegory

Aspidistrafly Bio:
From Singapore, ASPIDISTRAFLY consists of composer and vocalist April Lee (b.1984) and producer Ricks Ang (b.1980). The duo play a flickeringly filmic mixture of ambient folk with gossamer-like vocal harmonies and guitar-based drone wrapped in a delicate lo-fi haziness. April’s beguiling visions and lyrics form the backbone of ASPIDISTRAFLY‘s storytelling.

ASPIDISTRAFLY released their debut EP “The Ghost of Things” in 2004 in Singapore, followed by first full-length album “i hold a wish for you” (Kitchen. Label) in 2008 which gained much recognition and attention around Japan and Asia. In December 2011, they released their second album “A LITTLE FABLE” (Kitchen. Label). A track from the album “Landscape With A Fairy” was selected as NPR Music’s Song Of The Day in March 2012. April’s distinctly smoky and melancholic tone has often been compared to Vashti Bunyan and Linda Perhacs by music publications worldwide.

In 2009, ASPIDISTRAFLY was invited to a 7-city tour around Asia which culminated in a headline show at SuperDeluxe in Tokyo. The duo has collaborated with artists including with Kyo Ichinose, Akira Kosemura, Honagayoko, Ironomi, Seigen Tokuzawa and others. April has most notably collaborated on a regular basis with and provided vocals for haruka nakamura. Their track “twilight” was selected as Japan iTunes Singles of the week in 2010. ASPIDISTRAFLY has also worked with renowned media artist Daito Manabe and Takayuki Fujimoto (dumbtype) on “Drift Net” by Singapore-based theatre group TheatreWorks.

Outside of ASPIDISTRAFLY, the duo also founded record label Kitchen. Label in 2008. As curator and producer, Ricks directs all Kitchen. Label releases and curates a repertory of sound and images that showcase a distinctive aesthetic vision, shared among ASPIDISTRAFLY and fellow label artists including haruka nakamura, FJORDNE, ironomi, Janis Crunch, Evade and others. Kitchen. Label has been widely recognized for their thoughtful approach to the design of their music releases, where visual storytelling and tactile sensitivity parallel with the music, garnering acclaim by publications such as Creative Review and The Wire. In Japan, the label’s music and vision has resonated greatly with their audience, leading to two sold-out label showcases at Sonorium and Waseda Scott Hall in 2010 and 2011.


Hello, how are you? 
Aspidistrafly chose to ignore this one, we'll assume they're doing awesome;]

What are you currently listening to?
I've been tuned into Bridget St John's 'Ask Me No Questions'.

What's the story with the band name?
There was a book by George Orwell which had an impact on me when I was about thirteen.. and the title of the book "Keep The Aspidistra Flying" stuck with me for a good long time. When we formed the band we didn't want a name that was tangible because has been done too many times, so we re-arranged the title and made our own word "aspidistrafly".

Who were/are your biggest influences when it came to sculpting your sound?
I get inspired and think in great detail about the treasures that I chance upon daily. It could be anything. History, heritage, patina on a ring, the noise on old films, the scent of aged leather and so on. At the time when I was making 'A Little Fable' I watched a lot of Ingmar Bergman, Andrei Tarkovsky and I was breathing my collection of antique jewellery. These really played an important role in shaping the album.

What is the theme on your latest full length?
I loved fables and folklore as a child. This time wanted to create my own fables and song-poems.

If you could collaborate with any artist of your choosing, whom would it be with and why?
I'd love to do runway music for Rodarte.

Got any strange/unusual talents?
I can lucid dream, which means I can control and direct what happens in my dreams, though I could do it a lot better when I was young. Also, I dream every night and can remember everything that happens. I like it that way because I'm not so fond of reality and my dreams serve as a form of escape. Sometimes I put them into ideas or a song.

What movie would work best on mute with your music as it's soundtrack?
I think "Valerie And Her Week Of Wonders" would go well with my album 'A Little Fable'.

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?
It might be John Cage's 4'33". I love music but I need a lot of silence as well. I require complete silence when I write and ponder. Even a clock ticking might set me off tangent.

Are you living your dream?
I don't think I'll ever want to wake up from that dream.

Thanx Ricks & April!

Aspidistrafly seems to be slightly under the radar, let's change this strange fact and begin spreading the word shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment