Monday, September 3, 2012

REVIEW: Tralala Blip - Submarine Love Songs

9.5 out of 10

The best things in (my) life are the random pieces of wonder that sometimes fall across the (world wide web's) sky right in front of me. I'm never searching for anything specific (sort of), but I always know what it is (generally from the very first note/sound) when I do discover it. One of these terrific solar-aligning moments happened when I came across this project. Tralala Blip is a collective group of Experimental Electronic artists (with a rotating cast of members actually) that deliver the exact kind of sounds I crave all the time. A bit of sincerity, a lot of originality, a bit of warmth (as well as the chill factor), and a lot of flexible trial and error sounds that come together in one very amusing package.

Tralala Blips' Room40 debut is (so far) the group's defining moment. They have a few other pieces of music laying around out there (another LP, a split, and (yes) ANOTHER LP on the way..as well as a slew of awesome live tracks worth listening to) if you don't mind doing some online detective work (all very awesome), but 'Submarine Love Songs' is their best. The music within it's walls is is very precocious and precious, TLLB deliver an album that's as sincere and unapologetic as you can get within the realm of modern Electronic music. Lots and lost of sequencers, synthesizers, a few computers, bleeps/bloops, a few other random distortions, and some very peculiar vocals that I absolutely adore/sometimes obsess over. TLLB remind me Funkstorung, early Múm, (a dash of) Brian Eno, a bit of Coil (not so literal, but I think Coil fans will certainly appreciate a tone or two here and there), meets the more "eclectic" side of Radiohead. You probably shouldn't need much more convincing after those comparisons. Just trust me.

Buy it. Don't like it? I'll buy your copy from you. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Standout Tracks: ALL (I will not be picky here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment