Monday, August 13, 2012

REVIEW: Saschienne - Unknown

8.75 out of 10

I'd like to say that I love absolutely everything I hear on Kompakt, but I have to be honest, there are few artists that just don't "wow me". Now don't get me wrong, Kompakt IS a staple in the today's Post-Modern Electronic community, their home to some of the most important Electronic gurus/messiahs/artists of all time, they have single-handedly sculpted an entire continents dance scene, and when they do "wow me" they do a more-than-sufficient job. I'm just not always in that "Berlin mood", know what I'm sayin'? This is not only "a" standout though, it may (in my humble opinion) be "(one of)the" standout(s) for the label. (I know, I'm jumping the gun, but I really like it..let me think about this?) One of the latest projects to join/from Kompakt is actually from a veteran; (Sas)cha Funk & his wife Jul(ienne) Dessagne. This is their first time recording together, and from what I understand a new "permanent side-project". Saschienne are "slightly Berlin", but I also think there's something unique to them as well (maybe sultry, maybe technasty? idk), as well as purveyors of something I constantly crave in Electronic music, which is "smart/forward thinkers".

'Unknown' starts with a subtle keyboard melody followed by somber/mesmerizing vocals and then that "little piece of Berlin (although it's actually French, which is even hotter)", the part that can make or break an artist (do you "do Berlin" right? Saschienne does) (this is when you start bobbing your head and/or feet/butt). Mostly staying on the chill/"night-time drive" side, 'Unknown' is also a well balanced slick-modern Pop album that I absolutely adore and would recommend to any "good club DJ" out there. There are a few guitar parts (as well as general tones) that remind me of Sinner DC, sultry vocals (very appropriate for the album), awesomely sensual fluorescent synths, and (once again) that one thing that I crave; "smartness". Live in a neon drenched city? Have a good car system? You know what to do here.

More please? Intelligence is incredibly sexual between my headphones right now. RECOMMENDED (especially) if you like The Drive soundtrack and/or Sinner DC.

Standout Tracks: November, Caché (this one's a little Jazzy and i like that), Aile Mut, Neue Acht

No comments:

Post a Comment