Monday, June 4, 2012

REVIEW: Mount Eerie - Clear Moon

8.25 out of 10

I'm gonna be honest with you, I didn't really "fall into/start appreciating" Phil Elverum's music until Mount Eerie's 2009 album 'Wind's Poem' (#17 of 100) came around. I could see how there was a definite genius or prodigy of some sort behind the Microphones sound, but it just didn't "hit me" the way I wanted it to. Still though I found his voice/art important enough to follow, I knew it would only evolve into something truly important (to me)... I couldn't be happier with the ending/current results. Patience more than paid off in this case, few independent musicians take on as many risks as Mr. Elverum does with his sound.

On Mount Eerie's latest release 'Clear Moon' (Pt. 1 of a 2-part album --second one coming later this year) Phil Elverum explores more of the "darker territories" that I loved so much on 'Wind's Poem', they're very similar in tone actually, but 'Clear Moon' is more "polished". 'Clear Moon' is, in all honesty, quite possibly his "biggest/most triumphant" release to date. The production, although recorded utilizing nothing more than an 8-track (from what I hear), sounds as if it was produced by someone with a much larger budget. And THAT is where Phil's genius lays, he is officially (in my book anyways) one of the most keen, provocative, and ingenious independent music producers of this current (or past) generation's sound. What he can do with so little is breath taking and at some points reminiscent of "another famous Phil". The quickest way to describe Mount Eerie to someone who has been living under a rock is "Experimental Indie Rock" ..that leans towards bizarre Ambient atmospheres buried underneath Jazzy substructures, or and even easier way I suppose; "weird". It won't be everyone's forte (which is a shame), but for the average music worshiper that's looking for a bit of a "challenge" in their listening experience, Phil Elverum will always deliver.

If you're reading this it's probably because you're already a fan (or will be). HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Standout Tracks: The Place I Live, Lone Bell (PEREFECTION), House Shape, (Something) (it's more than that), Clear Moon, Yawning Sky

No comments:

Post a Comment