Tuesday, May 29, 2012

EIC's 10Q's w/ Sean McCann

"..the sound that influences the atmosphere.."


Sean McCann
Sinking Hallucination

Sean McCann Bio:
Sean McCann (b. 1988) is a composer / experimental artist based in Los Angeles, California. Have a listen HERE.


Hello, how are you?
I am well.

What are you currently listening to?
John Adams, Steve Reich, Philip Glass, The Lost Jockey etc. Other than that I have been listening to lots of older R.E.M.

Whom were your biggest influences when it came to creating your Ambient soundscapes?
I have distant memories of playing in my backyard in the afternoon, hearing Brian Eno records emanating from my living room, so that constant exposure must have bred some interest in environmental music. However more than any specific artist, I would think my parents were the largest influence on the development of my music. They encouraged and facilitated my creativity and still support my artistic endeavors to this day.

LOVE the new album, what exactly do you mean by "Sincere World"?
Hmmm, album titles are not my favorite subject to discuss. Regardless, I recorded that album while I was living alone in San Francisco, and I wanted to encapsulate my feeling of optimistic isolation. At the risk of sounding snobbish, I wanted to have the music try and evoke the purity and emotion of humanity...or at least my narrow understanding of it.

Is there one track on said album that is more personal than the rest and why?
I would say that the first track, "I've Seen Your Face Before", speaks to me more than any of the others. That was recorded in 2009, and always struck me as one of my most beautiful pieces. It is quite simple, not heavily multi-tracked, maybe there are two tracks total? It is all viola being played through a Fender Twin Reverb, yet somehow it ended up sounding like like group of people singing. The elated string phrases deliver an emotion that I hope speaks to the listener on a personal level.

Got any upcoming/new collabs we should know about?
I have a new collaborative album out with Matthew Sullivan (Earn) entitled "Vanity Fair." It is much more abstract than either of our solo projects, and displays a more academic approach to tape manipulation and ambience. Both organic and calculated. I am very happy with how it turned out.

I hear you're starting/started a label, care to shed some light on that?
Yes, I've started a new label, Recital. I plan on documenting the work of respected and enduring artists who's take on music impresses me. I'm not too focused on the style of music, more on where it is coming from and how it moves me. What I really want to release is an orchestral album, someone else's or my own.

What movie would work best on mute with your music as it's soundtrack?
Hmmm, well I'd like to say "The Double Life Of Veronique" or "Deep Space Nine" or "Candyman", those are all points of inspiration.

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?
A tape with "Goldfall" by Andrew Chalk on the A side, and "Stranded" by Roxy Music on the B side

Are you living your dream? 
I am very grateful for what I have in my life.

Thanx Sean!

Sean McCann is currently dabbling in running a label (with some amazingly talented dudes I might add) as well as multiple projects at once, whether it be for his solo project or others, he is always busy developing new sounds...

No comments:

Post a Comment