Monday, April 16, 2012

REVIEW: The Caretaker - Patience (After Sebald)

9 out of 10

"Patience" a great word to remember when it comes to absorbing/listening Mr. Kirby's signature "Haunted Ballroom" sound. The Caretaker, one of James Leyland Kirby's many monikers, is slow moving Ambient decay. ..OK, honestly there's not really that much I can say about Leyland's work that hasn't already been said.. (if you missed this boat, shame on you)

Tape hiss sounds, ancient vinyl crackles, black and white sonants (piano) that come off as haunting & disturbing, and then (that thing that gives Leyland his edge above all the other Ambient artists) what sounds like the ghosts of a thousand chamber dwellings either having fun & relaxing or possibly being tortured by some dark force (I can never tell). It's provocative, it's somber & melancholy, it's spellbinding, 'Patience (After Sebald)', and all other Caretaker albums for that matter, is something EVERYONE NEEDS in their library.

This is probably my second favorite album of his, I'm not sure if it can ever get better than THIS, but somehow I love it equally. A nice "follow up piece", that's for sure. Highly (JLK will be always be backed/adored by EIC) Recommended.

Standout Tracks: ALL. (no seriously, I can't pick a favorite) "When The Dog Days Were Drawing To An End" is probably my favorite, and maybe "I Have Become Almost Invisible" or possibly "Increasingly Absorbed In His Own World".

No comments:

Post a Comment