Monday, February 13, 2012

EIC's 10Q's w/ Yoko Duo

"..a pair of "din-gineers" after my own "sexy-modern needing" beating heart.."


Yoko Duo
Prepossessing Mech-Engineers

Yoko Duo Bio:
Yoko Duo is new collaboration between Berlin based producer Zilske and Stockholm singer-songwriter Landelius . They have teamed up before, namely on Holz, Zilske’s first album under his own name from 2009. Until then he’d mostly used the moniker Smash TV, putting out records on BPitch Control before becoming affiliated with the likes of Leena, Battle and Playhouse. On Holz, Landelius’s vocals added another dimension to Zilske’s increasingly minimal sound. Their first LP under moniker Yoko Duo was released on the Hamburg-based label Fauxpas Musik.


Hello, how are you?

We’re good. The most depressing part of the year is over and a new year is upon us.

What are you currently listening to?

Nebraska 'Displacement'

Is the name a reference to what I think it is?
Kind of. We were trying to find a name that we both liked. We had both suggested a bunch of names but we didn’t found one that we both liked. So one night when I(August) was out, drinking beers with some friends, we started to talk about that a lot of people claim that Yoko Ono, more or less, split up The Beatles. So one of my friends said, “ha ha, your name should be Yoko dos”, and another friend said “Yoko Duo”. I was actually in a band when I lived in Sweden, but we split up because I moved to Berlin to start this project with Holger. So I suggested the name to Holger and he liked it.

Did you know what kind of sound you wanted to achieve when you began this project?

No, not really. We tried to make some House-stuff with my vocals on in the beginning, but it didn’t turn out that great. The sound just came. It really feels like a mixture of my sound and Holgers. I think the fact that we actually accomplished to develop an own sound is almost the best thing with the album. It’s a bit weird that two guys who didn’t really know each other, had different music backgrounds and the that are from different countries could work so well together.

What's your favorite YD track thus far?
My favorite track is probably “Blowfish”. Holger’s is “Lack of Comfort” I think.

What's next for you guys?

We’ll see. We take it one step at the time. The project is slowly growing and we got ideas of new tracks, but we’ll focus a bit on our own music atm.

Who(m) was your favorite new artist from 2011?

Thundercat

What movie would work best on mute with your guys music playing on top of it?
I’ve actually never thought about that, but it’ll probably have to be a movie that is a bit hectic. Maybe “Requiem For A Dream”. I love all of Darren Aronofsky's movies, but the soundtracks to his movies are already super, so I don't know..

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?

That’s a hard question. But I (August) would probably pick 'Voodoo' by D’angelo. I never get tired of that album

Are you living your dream?
Not yet. I think we both would like to release more stuff together and play more live shows. But that’ll hopefully come. But we’re definitely satisfied with the album and how things are going atm..

Thanx YD!

Yoko Duo are currently working on their solo projects, hopefully some new YD work will evolve from that...

No comments:

Post a Comment