Monday, November 14, 2011

EIC'S10Q'S w/ Teaadora

"..dark, with a faint "silver lined" raining cloud.."

(Photo credit: Scott Steele)

Teaadora
Beautiful Aphotic Canticle

Teaadora Bio:
Teaadora Nikolova (born May 20th, 1986) is an American singer and artist, known for art performance, and her Minimalist Lo-Fi Droning Abstract songs


Hello, how are you?
I am well. I've just been busy with university and protesting in my local area for the Occupy Together movement.

What are you currently listening to?

I am listening to the sound of the cars as they pass by, mostly trying to let the nothingness come in, and letting the sounds fill in the silence that is coming in. I don't listen to as music as I once did but I am not as peaceful as I once was either. I had a deeply peaceful walk last night to renew my rare quiet inside, it was great contrast amongst my busy days.

If you could tour with any two bands of your choice whom would it be with?
I'd love to tour with; Mirabai Ceiba, Prince Rama, Daniel Higgs, Grouper, Rhys Chatham, Terry Riley, John Maus... some light barriers.

When you began writing music did you have an idea of the sound you were trying to achieve?
When I began music to achieve the conceptual framework of this project, I knew it would involve a great deal of emotion and simplicity. A lot of artists I know, who have continued to evolve with their music learned through appropriating their sound through artists they admired. However, I long stripped my desire to fulfill a protege and only create with the same ears I use in the silence of the dark. I create new things by searching for them with an open heart in the dark. So, I am unsure if I was trying to achieve anything besides truth, especially the unmovable truth of allure.

Is there a theme on "A Jamais Vierge/Virgin Forever"?
The theme of the album is related to my virginity, and my striving for purity, a time capsule a certain part of my life, that says I try to love through only a universal space, but no access love through the intimate sphere. It was a time when I decided to live my life with a taxidermy of the heart, I will never take the risk of falling in love, and thus never have any scars to age my heart.

Got any side projects/collabs coming up?
I am doing a compilation tape called "Pilgrimage" for Bathetic Records, which will feature Arrington de Dionyso (of Old Time Relijun), Daniel Higgs (of Lungfish), Susan Alcorn, Kyle Clyde/ Isa Christ, and many others I feel have influenced my musical journey to be where I am. Lastly, I am compiling a soundtrack for Lindsay Denniberg’s Video Diary of a Lost Girl . You can see and hear the sample she created the visuals for and I matched with electronic sounds on her website for the film. The basis of the soundtrack and film take place where Liquid Sky left off with artists such as Dan Deacon, Soft Metals, Tearist, Rene Hell, J.D. Emmanuel, which we are still submitting submissions for. Lastly, I will be in a movie directed by Joe Chang called “Present” over Halloween in Asheville for a weekend.

If you could re-score a movie soundtrack which movie would you pick?

THX1138, because of all the emptiness, futurism, feeling of despair and disconnection. I have an affinity with it as much as I would dislike it conceptually if someone explained it to me, its about the experience. I would like to give warmth to its sterility and play within supernatural ideas, in synthesis with reality and epic-machinery.

Whom were your favorite new artists of 2011?
Mostly my friends, I'll recall my favorite performances of the last year; Isa Christ, Emceesquared, YellowFever, Good Amount, Ryley Walker + Dan'l Bachman (+ Ben Bilington) Combo, and French Quarter..

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?
Harold Budd/Brian Eno: 'The Pearl'

Are you living your dream?
I like that you ask this but I think the real question is, "do you have a relationship with your dream?" I know that I ask some people this question playfully and with some I see the balloon pop over their head... the question fades because they haven't thought of life in these terms for so long, maybe never too deeply but mostly as in the cliche that everyone is living out their dream. I see now a days more and more that people aren't living out their dreams as they might think, which makes me think I may be projecting my own lack of relationship with my own dreams. My initial reaction is yes, however, I also know that for me this idea is very complex, requires many steps, and development over time. Either way, I find a lot of meaning in my direction, aside of refining possible.

Thanx Teaadora!

Teaadora is currently an underrated artist who deserves more attention, and will soon get it...;)

No comments:

Post a Comment