Monday, September 26, 2011

REVIEW: Mahogany - Dream Of A Modern Day

10 out of 10(<--whoa! what?)
Find it here.

About 5-10 years was when I was at the peak of my "must seek out and own all that is Shoegaze/Dream Pop related" phase I came across Mahogany. While I was in this phase, so was my brother-in-law ..sort of a funny "battle of wits" I suppose. He did, and I will whole-heartedly admit to, find/seek out Mahogany first. But the minute he showed them to me I knew I was in for a new obsession..(I just didn't know how strong of an obsession it would become).

Mahogany's debut album (the first album I heard of theirs) "Dream Of A Modern Day" is by far without a question a perfect album from beginning to end. It is quite possible the best Dream Pop album I own. Simply put it's gorgeous, touching, endearing, modern, and marvelous in a little under an hour. For a while now I've wanted to begin a new kind of music review post, in-which I talk about "perfect" albums. No flaws/no fillers, ..P-E-R-F-E-C-T-I-O-N. Think of how many albums you would put on this list, they're out there, but be REAL PICKY. (remember not one flaw!) Mahogany's "Dream.." is that too me, and hopefully to you too. I really don't know what I can say about Mahogany that hasn't been said. The band has a bit of mystery/shroud before them, they release albums when they want (::ahem::hopefully an EP as well as a new LP on the way..) they're a bit of perfectionists when it comes to their sound sculpting, their design work is just as impressive as their sound, and, yeah I've said it before, they're WAY AHEAD OF THEIR TIME. If you look at some of the "Shoegaze/Dream Pop" lists on Amazon you will probably see them on 8/10 "Greatest Gaze/Dream Pop" lists. If you've already been introduced you already know how much of a pleasure it is to know their sound. Take the large scale sound orchestrations of a classic Phil Spector tune, add a whole bunch of cutesy/dreamy Pop bliss to the mix and there you have it..perfection.

I wouldn't recommend putting a 10/10 on every "great" album you like, but if it truly means something to you deeply and you seriously can't find a single flaw in any melody/note/sound than by all means.. Buy this album, if you don''t like it (you will trust me) I'll buy your copy from you™.

Standout Tracks: ALL. I especially melt (every time) at about 4:20 into "Optimism"..oh! and "Anais No. 3" (sooooooooo pretty)

No comments:

Post a Comment