Monday, September 19, 2011

EIC'S10Q'S w/Elite Gymnastics

"..like a lost soundtrack to an early Greg Araki film.."


Elite Gymnastics
Neo Pubescent Wasteland

Elite Gymnastics Bio:
James Brooks, 27, and Josh Clancy, 24, started casually making music on a laptop together in 2008, and have put out a handful of self-released EPs on their Tumblr in the last year, along with a 34-minuted mix called "All We Fucking Care About is KPop Whitehouse And Our Cats". Their forthcoming 12" "Ruin" is a gussied-up compilation of previously released EP's Ruin 1 and Ruin 2, which is available via Acéphale.


Hello, how are you?
Hi, I am pretty OK, how are you?

What are you currently listening to?

William Bennett's "Cut Hands" project, Lil B's "I'm Gay" album, & How To Dress Well's "Just Once" EP..

Whats with the band name?
The name of the band comes from the Whitehouse song "Ruthless Babysitting", which is basically about child abuse. The band is called "Elite Gymnastics" because Whitehouse is an extremely important band to me but also because I want the name of the band and the existence of the band to raise awareness of things like child abuse, drug addiction, and mental illness.

Do you have a favorite EG song?
No.

Can we purchase physical copies of your work anywhere?
The "Ruin 1 & 2" EP's will be available soon as a 12" on Acéphale(!)

Got any side/upcoming projects coming up?
Usually you will always hear anything we do as soon as it's done, there's nothing in the can right now that we're waiting to put out or anything. If you follow us on Facebook or Tumblr you will know when we are going to release some music pretty much as soon as we know we are going to.

If you could collaborate with any artist of your choosing whom would it be with?
I would be too nervous to collaborate with any of my heroes, I usually just shut down and barely talk whenever I meet them. I think it would be cool to be involved with a mainstream pop album, though, by Fergie or someone like that. It seems like those types of albums are usually made by committee, and I think it would be really fun and cool to be in a room with a bunch of other talented, behind-the-scenes people trying to put together a hit album.

The best time to listen to Elite Gymnastics is?

Honestly anytime anyone feels like it is a good time to listen to Elite Gymnastics at all I am pretty happy about it

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life
..which album would it be?

Probably Whitehouse's "Asceticists 2006" or Joanna Newsom's "Have One On Me". maybe a Mariah Carey greatest hits CD. Josh would probably say "Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness" by The Smashing Pumpkins.

Are you living your dream?

Not as long as I still live in Minneapolis, but I have a cat and a cool girlfriend and I'm in a band with my best friend AND I get to do things like put out a 12" on one of my favorite labels, so I am doing pretty OK I think, yeah.

Thanx James!

Elite Gymnastics are about to (re)release their debut album(s) "Ruin(1 & 2)" on a limited edition vinyl via Acéphale pretty soon, make sure to snatch one of those up before they are all gone (if they're not already)...

No comments:

Post a Comment