Monday, August 8, 2011

EIC'S10Q'S w/Grimes

"..sensual/seductive melodies, serene lullabies, heavenly oddities, and really (I just can't stress this enough) AMAZING vocals..."





Grimes

Arcadian Anomaly



Grimes Bio:

Grimes is Weird Pop influenced by styles such as R&B, Industrial, Goth, Hip Hop and Western Medieval Organum. She is noted for simple but strong percussion, vocal virtuosity, and addictive melodies. Despite having little acquaintance with music before the age of 18, Grimes (born 1988) has overcome this barrier and used it to her advantage, exploding onto the music scene with a sound that is that is far different from that of her peers, and extremely broad in it’s references (Mariah Carey, Salem, Cocteau Twins, Gang Gang Dance, The Smiths, Prince). And yet, while all Grimes songs are different and genre-bending, there is a strong sound that is fully her own, characterized primarily by her chameleon-like voice.



She cannot read music and has no understanding of theory or notation, so her attempts to imitate often fail. Rather, the result is particularly unique, strangely beautiful, sometimes scary, frequently melancholic and catchy as hell.





Hello, how are you?

Good, haha..



What are you currently listening to?


Lots of things, I'm suddenly really refreshed with music. I love Holy Other, Deadboy, Cassius <-- personal favorite at the moment. The song "I <3 U So" is incredible.



Who/what influenced you the most when you began writing for this project?

Panda bear was a huge influence structurally, in terms of me figuring out that music can be loop based. But I've been really influenced lately by How To Dress Well, Matthewdavid, Pictureplane. I want to be a good producer.



Why the name 'Grimes'?

That's a secret ;)



What song are you most proud of at this point?

Probably an unreleased song called "Eight"



Is there a tentative title/release date for your next full length?

I'm currently stuck between four titles, but these are also secret!



Your music works best for this "____" kind of day?

Rainy and sad, or late at night lying in bed, or at a dance party. I feel like I make a bunch of different types of music that suit different moods.



If you could collaborate with any artist of your choosing whom would it be with?


Physical Therapy maybe.... or Pictureplane. Or I dunno. I want to make an album of just vocals, and send it out to a bunch of producers and see if anyone wants to use anything totally copyright free just like, free samples for everybody. I want to see what comes of that.



You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?

Fuck... probably "Bitches Brew" or something... that would be an awful scenario.



Are you living your dream?

Probably, haha.. I'll always dream of what I don't have or like. What I'm doing now is so unexpected, I'm not sure if it was ever my dream, or perhaps it was inexplicably. But being a musician also comes with so much weird shit you wouldn't think it would come with. It's not like I could possibly do anything else though.



Thanx Claire!




Grimes is currently working on her follow up/third full length, in the meantime make sure to check out the rest of her work (because it's pretty f*n awesome.)...


No comments:

Post a Comment