Monday, July 4, 2011

REVIEW: Belong - Common Era

9.5 out of 10

Since 2006 Belong have been blessing my headphones with their version of Ambient Shoegaze. With every record since then (about 2 full lengths and a couple EP's) the band has fully realized the potential of their soundscapes. Belong have been apart of a few different labels now, but (in this person's opinion) really found their home once they joined forces with Kranky. On the group's first release for Kranky they really have outdone themselves and quite possibly created the best record I have heard all year.

Although the Ambient/Droney elements are still in full effect on "Common Era" there is definitely a stronger sense of well crafted Pop songs laying underneath all of it. To be honest with you, after listening to this album (over and over and over and over again) I got the sense of witnessing one of the best "homages" ever to MBV's masterpiece "Loveless", or better yet "Loveless Pt. 2". I know, a lot of bands have tried this, but most fail. Belong have perfected a sound that has been lost amongst bands for a long time now, "tightness" and "knowing when to be experimental". The songs are very damp & layered (with guitar, keyboard, and a few other hidden sounds), the vocals are somewhat in-audible (I wouldn't want them any other way), and the simple nature of the drum machine loops gives the album the bit of brightness that it needs. I read once that Kevin Shields (MBV) promises at least one more My Bloody Valentine album (after he releases his solo material), until then you have Belong's "Common Era" to keep you company. By far (without a doubt), "Common Era" is one of the best Shoegaze albums I have ever had the pleasure of owning (and I own a lot).

(Probably) My favorite thing about 2011 was listening to this album (over ..and over). HIGHLY RECOMMENDED ("more than I can put in words recommended").

Standout Tracks: ALL. ALL. ALL. (as well as/mainly) Never Came Close, A Walk (on repeat), Perfect Life, Keep Still, Different Heart (so good), Common Era (so simple & elegant)

No comments:

Post a Comment