Monday, July 11, 2011

EIC'S10Q'S w/Bachelorette

"..sways back and fourth between slow & sensual Disco dance floor hits to relaxing by the pool/beach warm-happiness.."


Bachelorette
Delightful Oceanfront Magnetism

Bachelorette Bio:
Annabel is from New Zealand but currently based on the east coast of the USA. She cut her teeth in cult bands such as Christchurch’s psychedelic surf outfit Hawaii Five-O, Space Dust and the Hiss Explosion, then went on to complete post-graduate studies in computer-based composition at the Universities of Canterbury and Auckland in New Zealand. After her studies, Annabel returned to what she loved best –making psychedelic pop music - and Bachelorette appeared on the scene in 2005.


Hello, how are you?
Very well, thank you

What are you currently listening to?
I’ve been revisiting some Brian Eno and Neu most recently.

Who were your biggest influences growing up when it came to music?
I’ve been through huge Beatles phases on and off since I was a kid, so I think they would have to be my biggest influence over time. As a teenager I loved the Cocteau Twins, The Orb, Tall Dwarfs and a hundred other things. Listening to music was my favourite pastime as a teenager. I would buy records every week and listen to them in my room with the lights switched off.

Tell us about your most recent release, is there an underline theme?

It’s kind of ridiculously self-referential in places, where often the topic is the Bachelorette project. I think that’s why I thought it was fitting for it to be self-titled. The time I was working on this album, it was the first time that Bachelorette was my only focus (ie. touring and recording the music), without having a separate day job or study to do. I felt a bit weird about it, like it wasn’t a meaningful enough focus, like that indie music’s this indulgent middle-class pursuit and that I should be doing something less bourgeois and be out helping people instead. I got into quite a self-referential feedback loop with that.

What is your favorite song you have written?
I really don’t think I have a favourite. I know all the songs so intimately, it’s pretty hard to choose. If I had to choose from this album, I think I have a fondness for the last song, ‘Not Entertainment’, or ‘Tui Tui’, which is named after a native bird in NZ.

Do you have any side projects/future collaborations we should know about?
I have an umbrella name for my future projects, called Particle Tracks, and have a website for that. So far Bachelorette is the only project on it, but after this album I’ll be embarking on some collaborative projects. My friend Mary Lattimore, a harpist from Philadelphia, and I have been talking about working on some stuff together, and I’m sure we’ll collect other musicians along the way. I have no idea what shape my next project will take, except that it won’t be solo (and therefore not Bachelorette).

What's your absolute favorite venue to play at and why?

My favourite shows are based on whether the audience is vibing with the music, rather than the venue, although a good venue definitely helps with the audience’s experience, like if the PA’s good, the lighting, atmosphere, etc. I can’t think of a specific place though.

If you could collaborate with any artist of your choosing whom would it be with?

Maybe Brian Eno?

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?
Brian Eno "Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks".

Are you living your dream?
I guess I’m living a past dream, but it’s not my dream anymore now that I’m doing it. The reality is never as satisfying as the fantasy might suggest it to be.

Thanx Annabel!

Bachelorette is currently touring Europe, hopefully the US shortly after because her live shows are quite impressive...

No comments:

Post a Comment