Thursday, June 30, 2011

REVIEW: The Beauty / Jesse Ruins - Split Cassette

8.5 out of10

I'm gonna let you know this right now before you read too much of this review, I don't know anything about either of these bands, and I won't pretend to either. In-fact, I think it's safe to assume that most of us (assuming there is a small collective of people/fans out there) discovered Jesse Ruins through GvsB or 20JFG's, right? Either way, that's how I did and since then (you know the drill) became obsessed. Off the bat there were tons of comparisons to M83 when Mr. Ruins first surfaced. The comparisons seem fair, "cinematic & epic", synth-driven Shoegaze seems like the proper way to describe Jesse's sound. So far Jesse Ruins has only released about 4 singles (or so) and this split with "new comer" The Beauty. I'll admit I only looked into this for the JR tracks, but I ended up loving all of these songs (almost) equally.

Much like Jesse Ruins, The Beauty carry themselves in the same manner (see above for sound description). Their (His? Hers?) music can (also) easily be described as "M83-esque" (think between the self-titled debut release and "Dead Cities.." era). Gorgeous sweeping synths floating above and forming glorious melancholy/somewhat danceable landscapes mixed with tons of "airy" attributes and thick Electro accents. All of the tracks on this album are a standout, but my favorite Beauty track would have to be "Prelude To The Horror". After The Beauty comes the Jesse Ruins tracks, all of which of are gorgeous & glorious as well. As far as the main JR standout goes..All (My fav may be "..Bookshelf.."). Really though, they're all amazing, have you heard THESE? Any-who, this split is glowing from beginning to end and is sure to have any Shoegaze and/or Synth-driven Pop head in uproar. Nice job guys, now about those full lengths..?

Might be a bit tough to track one of these bad boys down, but if you can I recommend doing so before they're all gone (which they probably are by now is my guess.) Fans of M83, YOU NEED THIS NOW. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Standout Tracks: ALL... Prelude To The Horror, A Bookshelf Sinks Into The Sand

No comments:

Post a Comment