Wednesday, June 1, 2011

EIC'S10Q'S w/Bibio

"..the future of retro.."


Bibio
Perspicacious Nostalgia Frequency

Bibio Bio:
Bibio is the folk-meets-electronica project of self-taught producer/multi-instrumentalist Stephen Wilkinson, from England's Black Country (aka the West Midlands). As a student of sonic arts at London's Middlesex University, Wilkinson was first inspired by '90s electronic acts such as Aphex Twin, Autechre, and especially Boards of Canada, but became equally intrigued by mid-20th century British folk. He combined these sounds in his own music, along with found sounds and field recordings, for a unique mix of organic and synthetic atmospheres. Boards of Canada's Marcus Eoin handed Wilkinson's demos to Mush Records, which released Bibio's debut album, Fi, in 2004, and its more song-based follow-up, Hand Cranked, two years later. Wilkinson also released the limited-edition Sheila Sets Sail/Tribio on the Artist's Valley imprint, part of a collective Wilkinson has with producers Andy Harber and Richard Roberts. The Ovals and Emeralds EP, which featured organ instead of Bibio's usual acoustic guitars, arrived in 2008; Vignetting the Compost followed in 2009. That summer, Bibio moved to Warp for the eclectic Ambivalence Avenue, followed several months later by the release of a remix-heavy album, The Apple and the Tooth. For 2011's Mind Bokeh -- named after the term for the blurry area in a photograph -- Wilkinson moved further away from folktronica and deeper into the meticulously sampled, electro/hip-hop direction he began on Ambivalence Avenue.



Hello, how are you?
Good, thanks.

What are you currently listening to?
John Coltrane, Scott Walker, Django Reinhardt, Prince, Whitesnake, Strong Arm Steady, Johnny Hartman, The Ink Spots, The Four Freshmen, Letherette, Clark.

LOVE the new album "Mind Bokeh", how was the recording experience for it, have any issues? Did you know what sound/theme you were going for before you entered the studio?
The only issues I really have is being doubtful of myself, but I've always had that and I consider it a form of quality control. People who lack that self doubt have a kind of plastic confidence and it shows in their art. I believe Krishnamurti once said "A confident man is a dead human being", although that's in a different context altogether. I remember my art college tutors instilling in us a long time ago that a creative seed can be fed and watered and helped to grow into something grand, and in some ways this is a more productive method than starting with some grand idea you want to execute. But having grand ideas is also good, I don't believe in absolutes in art. A balance is usually good. I had some vague ideas of moving towards synth sounds more with this album, but not as an absolute rule, obviously. It's more liberating to not cling to ideas or ideals too hard. Honesty and creative flow is often more endearing. I admire people who can improvise well, not just in music, but in life.

I love the song's "Artists' Valley" & "Saint Christopher", do you have a particular song you are fond of?
I'm fond of all of them, that's why I released them. I listened to them all hundreds of times before deciding to put them on the album.

If you do any live tour dates for this release, in a dream world whom would that be with?
In a dream world it would be some kind of film/music/installation thing with Boards of Canada and Clark, perhaps in some strange derelict building or in a cave... or a forest. Even if nobody turned up, I'd still want to do it, for art's sake.

Have you ever considered doing soundtrack work?
Yes. I'd love to. If the film was right (and the fee), I'd start right away.

What was the last album you bought that let you down?
Expectation is a burden, not music. If you don't like something, get over it and listen to something you do like. People waste far too much time thinking their dislike for something is interesting enough to be shared, hence all of the complaining that goes on online.

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?

Arrogantly, it would have to be one of my own. Only because they're personal, like photographs. Surely you'd rescue your own photographs from a fire rather than someone else's?

Are you living your dream?

I'm living in a dream world, have done most of my life, I just happen to be getting paid for it now and that makes it easier to be in my dream world more constantly :) I'm grateful. I count my blessings often. I also know I've put the time and effort in, and it's taken years to get here, so it feels deserved to an extent. But I'm grateful to the people who have made my path easier, and if you were going to be thorough, these people would trace back generations. Anyone who thinks their success is all their own is blinkered by their own conceit. And I guess you even have to thank the people who made things harder.

Thanx Stephen & Josh!


Bibio recently released the "K Is For Kelson" EP look for that, and then look for everything else Bibio has done (You'll especially regret passing up "Ambivalence Avenue" (#10 of 2009) if you choose to do so)...

No comments:

Post a Comment