Monday, April 4, 2011

REVIEW: Caroline - Verdugo Hills

8.25 out of 10

It's been a little over 4 years since Caroline's debut album came out. I was beginning to wonder if it may be a "one-off" kind of project (I may have jumped the gun).. No matter, the wait was worth it. "Verdugo Hills" picks up almost exactly where "Murmurs" left off. Gorgeous vocals, twinkly electronics, gleeful melodies, and a beautiful honesty that has the ability to warm/melt the coldest of all hearts.

One of things I like the most about Caroline is the way she takes a modern Pop song (the type I usually don't care for) and turns it into a beautiful "abstract-ish" Electronic composition. I love the gentle/"toy-like sounding" melodies, the playful clicks and kicks, the melancholy piano tones, and of course Caroline's "more than seductive"/persuasive & innocent sounding vocals (seriously, one of the best voices out there (so underrated)). I wouldn't necessarily consider Caroline "Electronic", but I wouldn't say "J-Pop" either, somewhere in the middle perhaps? If this helps, think Miko meets Mum (early days). Her music is pretty, somewhat "cutesy", modern, organic, and definitely calming. She has two albums now, both of which are near perfect albums the should not be passed up by anyone (in my opinion anyways:) I can't wait for more...
Hopefully you know about Caroline by now, if you don't you really should get to know this HIGHLY UNDERRATED artist. I think I will always recommend her music to the right individuals (the kind of people that like to fully utilize their ears). This is what the future of Pop music should sound like as well as one of 2011's shiniest moments. Recommendedededdedmemdmemmended!

Standout Tracks: Swimmer, Seesaw (LO♥E), Pink Gloom (what a perfect name for such a perfect song), Waltz (again), Snow (love the horns in this one--reminds me of Bjork a lil')

No comments:

Post a Comment