Monday, March 28, 2011

EIC'S10Q'S w/David Shane Smith

"..you may hear slight nods towards a couple Indie bands of yesterday; Microphones, Fog, Clouddead (a tad bit anyways), and Throbbing Gristle (no, this album is not "Industrial") to name a few.."


David Shane Smith
Eccentric Sound Spectacular

David Shane Smith Bio:
Apparently David is a bit of a mystery man. I looked for a bio online and found nothing. Here's what I can tell you; David lives in Los Angeles, his music is unique to him. You can listen to/download all of his albums for FREE right HERE.



Hello, how are you?
I'm quite well, thank you. I either can't or won't complain.

What are you currently listening to?
I'm streaming the droney noise of Noose Doom from their website. Before that it was Method Man.

Whom/what inspired you to create the sounds you make?
When I was growing up the music lying around was Paul Simon and Bob Dylan but my older brother hipped me to They Might Be Giants. There was always a lot of hip hop and punk going around in my circle of friends so I always liked a lot of diverse stimuli. My friends push me a lot and I think that they have often directly influenced me the most.

What is your favorite track off of "Controls SM"?
"Global Warming" is probably my favorite because its the prettiest.

Will you be touring for said album?
There's no plan to tour at all right now. In fact I don't even know whether there's going to be a physical release of the album. Everything is in the future. I could use a record label perhaps to release it. If there are any out there. Anyone? I tend to be a little bit reclusive so I need to get myself into some new skin if I'm going to jump around in front of people.

What's next for you?
After I make a solo album like this I tend to collaborate with other people for a little while before making another one. That's probably what this year is going to be all about. Also I feel like I should paint something like a landscape or a figure. I also have books I mean to finish. And this place is messy. .

Who is your favorite local talent right now?
All my friends in Los Angeles are talented musicians and they are all different and mostly unknown. I like Julious Jive, Robert James, Danny Bobbe and his band "LA Font", Stanley Lucas Revolution..My neighborhood is a soup of talent. The stencil artists inspire me. Everything going on here has some spark to it.

If you could collaborate with any artist of your choosing whom would it be with?
There are a million electronic music producers out there I would love to make something with because their music is so remote from the singer/songwriter genre. Mark Fell or Tim Hecker would come to mind because I've been listening to them.

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?
Philip Glass and Ravi Shankar "Passages"

Are you living your dream?
I think my dream or vision of an ideal future changes as I grow older so thats pretty hard to say. I have what I need to be happy and thats pretty dreamy.

Thanx David!

David Shane Smith is currently working on a few collaborations and then possibly a new album, in the meantime make sure to soak in all that is David HERE...

No comments:

Post a Comment