Thursday, February 17, 2011

REVIEW: Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring For My Halo

8.25 out of 10

My favorite "vagobond-ist" (--yeah, that's a word) is back! Kurt Vile, the guy who has a way with taking simple everyday Alt-Rock-Country sounds and infusing them with brilliant/weirdo undertones, is always surprising me. I love the main singles on his albums, but those little 2-3 minute interludes of weird spacey noise (mmm) ..damn! He just gets me. I truly believe Kurt Vile, much like his previous album was aptly titled, IS a prodigy. What he could do for the "Indie" community could be huge. So, does he carry on with his traditional Alt-Folk/Weirdo vibe on "Smoke Rings For My Halo"?

Yes he does, Kurt Vile released another terrific album full of all the "Vile-isms" you could ask for. Not much more can be said about Kurt Vile that hasn't already been said. He's been "around" for the past 5 years or so making his mark and turning plenty of heads while doing it. On "Smoke Ring For My Halo" Kurt Vile does indeed carry on with his "traditional" sounds only this time with even stronger productions (this seems to get better and better with more albums), a keen(er) sense of Pop, and of course his melancholy heart. Minus a few upbeat tracks on this one, the beginning track on "Smoke Ring.." sets the tone for rest of the album. Very relaxing/uplifting as well as 103% perfect for campfire/BBQ background music... It's starting to get a little warmer where I live, ahhh "perfect-timing's". Again, Mr. Vile, you have tugged at my ear/heart-strings, thank you I owe you so many.

(Kurt Vile will always be) RECOMMENDED.

Standout Tracks: Baby's Arms, On Tour (on repeat), Society Is My Friend, Runner Ups, Peeping Tomboy, Ghost Blanket (..I love the second half of this song) Shell Blues (perfect ender)

No comments:

Post a Comment