Monday, January 17, 2011

EIC'S10Q'S w///Tense//

"..mix styles ranging from the darker somewhat experimental days of Wax Trax with the earlier days of EBM (think Cabaret Voltaire, Nitzer Ebb, (earlier)Ministry, and maybe even a dash of "Pretty Hate Machine" era NIN)..."


//Tense//
Breaking The Manufacturer's Mold, Reforming It, and Then Breaking It Again

//Tense// Bio:
Houston artist //TENSE// are bringing back the EBM/Electro sounds of the 80's. Think Front 242, Nitzer Ebb (whom they have toured with), SA42, D.A.F., Ministry, etc. So far the band has released a couple of EPs and one LP. Check them all out HERE.



Hello, how are you?
I am actually really tired and have been working a lot before we leave on tour. And I have a headache. Ha.

What are you currently listening to?

Austin TX band Silent Diane, Portland band Soft Metals and Goblin's "Tenebre".

Why the “//” before and after your band name?

I thought it looked like walls around my name and added to the feeling of pressure. I find them aesthetically pleasing as well.

Who/what inspired you to create the music you write?
MKF Kunst, my partner, inspired me to pick up an instrument and finally let out my frustration. I wear my influences on my sleeve clearly...WaxTrax! Records, Nitzer Ebb, Cabaret Voltaire...inner-city life, shitty jobs...

You’re about to go on tour with Nitzer Ebb, how did you get hooked up with them?
My friend Domokos from Future Blondes knew the promoter when they came to town last December and we opened for them in early December 2009. We met and hung out with them before and after the show. It turns out that Nitzer and I have mutual friends in the LA area so we stayed in contact and I made sure that //TENSE// stayed on their radar. The idea had been up in the air for a few months before I finally got the phone call from Douglas to confirm in September...AGH!

I can tell you’re a fan of the “Golden Age” (87-93) of Industrial music, do you have a favorite band from that era?
Oh boy, you are really opening up a HUGE can of worms, haha....let's see...I am just going to name 3 of my favorite record labels from that time: Nettwerk Records, WaxTrax! Records, and PIAS (distributed by WaxTrax! in the United States). I love that era of Chris and Cosey, Front 242, Ministry, Nine Inch Nails...really too many to name. That's definitely my favorite era (although I'd go about 84-91 really). <--Actually.., he's right. My bad.. Although I still think it survived through the mid 90's..;]

Can you tell us a little bit about the label you are on, Desire?
It's a label based in France...the guy who runs it (Jerome Mestre) got in contact with me a couple of years ago via Myspace. I still am not sure exactly how he heard me, but we clicked online and stayed in contact for a little while before he offered to release my LP. While it took almost a full year to release the LP I am VERY VERY pleased with the way it turned out. Jerome is a genuine music fan and takes pride in every step of the music making process, from the mastering to the promotion to the artwork, he's great!

What do you think ruined Industrial music?
GUITARS! That was number one! Damn guitars, money and the 90s! Ugh, such a shame.

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?
Oh man, this is really really tough...I mean really?! Fuck...hmmm....I always go back to Cabaret Voltaire's album "Crackdown". This album has everything from moody/scary Post Punk Drone to amazing beat driven Industrial funk, this album is my master plan and I love it from beginning to end. Of course, this could change in a week.

Are you living your dream?

This tour is truly a dream come true, but you know what would make me really happy?!?! To be able to do this and not worry about money all the time. If I had complete financial freedom that would definitely make things easier. BUT NOTHING WORTH HAVING EVER COMES EASY!!
WORK WORK WORK!

Thanx //T//!

//Tense// are back from a successful tour with Nitzer Ebb now and working on a follow up release..
In the mean-time the band wanted you to enjoy this FREE remix of Work Hard, oh and this one too!! <--Thanx for sharing guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment