Monday, December 13, 2010

EIC'S10Q'S w/Bon Accord

"..if the term "Chillwave" turns you off, have no fear. Rather than just a guy recording Lo-Fi 80's Electro in Slow-mo, Bon Accord offers a healthy dose of futuristic Dance sounds (think Sinner DC meets Wild Nothing--it works trust me) with the ability to chill you out..."

Bon Accord
Tranquil Infinity

Bon Accord Bio:
Bon Accord is the project of London-based Michael Wright. He writes and produces from a small corner of his front room with a laptop, a guitar and a synth. Bon Accord’s debut release was four-track EP Honeydew, which was made available for free on Bandcamp in August 2010. His follow up "Dayliner EP" is currently in digital format with plans of a limited run vinyl format soon.



Hello, how are you?

Hi, I'm very good thanks. Just enjoying the weekend at home in London.

What are you currently listening to?
I've been listening to the Endless House compilation a lot. That's amazing, and I hope it gets the attention is deserves. Also, I can't stop listening to Salem. I would have run a mile from that sort of thing as little as a couple of years ago, but now it just sounds perfect. Sometimes music can appeal to me for the very same reason I once shunned it, like I find something exciting about embracing a former taboo. It's important to keep an open mind. Also really into the new stuff Lone is doing. The Glass Vaults EP that Jukboxr is going to be releasing is also pretty special. And I'm not just saying that to big up the label!

What kind of music did you set out to write once you began Bon Accord?

Well, just music with drums and vocals really! I had been making ambient music for ages and felt the need for a change. Basically I wanted to apply the same techniques I had been using to make ambient music to make some tracks with a bit more personality, were a bit more engaging to listen to and were more structured. So the first track I finished, "Happy People", which is on the Honeydew EP, is probably the most soporific. From then on I just did what felt right at the time.

What's your favorite Bon Accord song?

At the moment, probably "Empty Club", which will be on the forthcoming "Dayliner" 12-inch. It's probably the punchiest one I've done so far. But friends have picked out different tracks as their favourites, which I guess can only be a good thing--different tracks appealing to different people. I suppose if your most recent track is pretty much always your favourite then you must be doing something right.

Will you be touring more extensively once your next release comes out?
I've actually never performed live as Bon Accord. I guess I'll just see if there's much in the way of demand. It is something I'd like to do but I haven't given much thought to the logistics of it.

If you could tour with anyone of your choice whom would it be with?
It would be pretty cool to play with Tortoise every night. Just staring at their gear is mouth-watering enough. I'm a big fan of their music--it's so bold and the musicianship is incredible. Live they are spectacular--the way they constantly swap instruments is nuts. I hope they keep on going forever. They're playing in London with Broken Social Scene in a couple of weeks, so I can't wait for that.

What movie would work best on mute while listening to your music?
I guess it depends on the song. For some reason, I think "French Letter" could work well with Kes, the Ken Loach film about a boy and a kestrel. Not that I particularly identify with the kid in it or anything, but the scenes of the north English countryside would be quite fitting. There's a kind of slow, woozy build-up to the song and that would sound cool against the drab, rainy landscapes of North Yorkshire, or wherever it is the film was shot. But maybe that's ridiculous.

What's your least favorite thing about the music scene?

I'm not really involved in any "scene" as such. I have been in the past and I suppose they can be quite cliquey and for someone on the outside they might seem pretentious, but that's about it really. I go to plenty of gigs in London but don't pay a massive amount of attention to what type of people are there or whether any politics are at work. I don't think there's much to take notice of, other than the music itself. I'm generally quite positive about the state of music at the moment. The internet has allowed it to be much more meritocratic than in the past. Anyone can put out a record or post it for free online, and if your music is good enough, people will hear it and it will get the attention it deserves. Plus, people are exposed to a lot more these days. A band like Animal Collective would never have become so popular 10 or 15 years ago, but now you see Animal Collective posters at tube stations. It's pretty crazy.

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?

That's a massive question. It would be a photo finish between "Venice" by Fennesz and "Loveless" by My Bloody Valentine. I'd be quite happy with either of those.

Are you living your dream?

Honestly, and realistically, I don't think I'm far off. I'm able to make tunes with no pressure or deadlines and my job doesn't encroach on that much at all. Everything's pretty stress-free. Hopefully things will stay as they are for a while.

Thanx Mike!

Bon Accord is currently working on what should be another amazing release (possibly LP) look for that in the near future, until then GET OBSESSED...

No comments:

Post a Comment