Monday, November 22, 2010

REVIEW: White Car - No Better

8 out of 10

To anyone overly frustrated with the current state of "Industrial" music, you can let your guard down now.. There is a glimmer of hope for lovers of artsy/dark Post-Punk/"(anti)establishment/political" themes mixed with post neo-modern Electronic/mechanistic backdrops. One of the leading bands in this "Re-Revolution"; White Car, hale from Chicago. Hmmm, Chicago? Isn't that the home to the late (great) Wax Trax Records/"Industrial Capital" of America?

"No Better" is a terrific EP with a serious nod towards the Golden Age of Industrial music. Growing up I listened to Dance Pop music, then Kraftwerk, then Wax Trax, etc. From the ages of (about) 12-22 everything I listened to/loved/knew I could "depend on" was Industrial music. It worked for me then, and still (the old stuff anyways) to this day works for me now. For the past 10 years or so Industrial music has changed quite a bit. For one thing it made a huge left turn towards Club/EBM music, secondly people began confusing/crossing it with Metal and Rock music (this is mostly a horrible idea that makes me sort of sick to my stomach sometimes) ..most of it all sounds the same OR to put it kindly; I hate it. I miss the crunchy/cheesy/dark & artsy Industrial sounds of yesterday. Bands like; Ministry (pre 90's), Front 242, Skinny Puppy (pre 00's), Revolting Cocks, The Young Gods, Coil, etc., these were my childhood's soundtrack. (Side note: Interested in Industrial music, but don't know where to start? Start here.) Anyways, outside of the Metropolis monopolized world of "Industrial" music today lays this small uprising which is a direct nod to the bands that got this genre off of it's feet. If you wanna pay an homage to something that completely molded me into the music obsessed junky that I am today than I'm OK with you as a person. White Car is Industrial music before guitars & rock music got in the way. More than just music though (and most importantly) White Car is a rare/lost art form, the very kind that has been missing from much of today's Electronic music. I implore you, please treat yourself to some White Car.

To: White Car, and all the other projects that share similar sounds... Thank you. All we can do now is hope that this isn't just a short "fad" and that it doesn't just fade back into obscurity where it all started. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

Standout Tracks: ALL

No comments:

Post a Comment