Monday, November 8, 2010

REVIEW: Active Child - Curtis Lane

8.5 out of 10
Find it here.

One of my favorite things about M83 reviving the "dying/dead" Shoegaze scene years back are the countless acts that have followed since. Active Child is one of the (and yes, I'm picky about this) massively shiny examples that further prove my love/obsession for spacey music with that perfect amount of "Pop". "Curtis Lane" has all the things I want in a perfect Space Pop/Shoegaze album; strong compositions, catchy melodies, synth drenched soundscapes, and classic 80's drum machine sounds.

"Curtis Lane" starts with a hum, followed shortly by a harp, climbing drum beat, Pat Grossi's "Choir Boy"/falsetto vocal talent, and then the synths/synths/more synths. The major standouts are the yes, the synths (I love them and you will to if you like M83), the Harp (which he actually plays live! it's not sampled..!), and the vocals (this guy is pretty talented in the vocal department--amazingly so). There really isn't one sound here that my ears disagree with, I just wish it didn't have to end so soon :( Eh.. either way, not only is "Curtis Lane" one of 2010's standout moments, it's also one of the most promising Nu-Gazer debuts since the term Nu-Gazer actually popped up..

Definitely will be high up on my year end list. Do not pass this album up (YOU WILL HATE YOURSELF IF YOU DO!)..Also, besides just recommending the album I also HIGHLY RECOMMEND you go to a live show. Active Child are one of those rare artists that may sound better live then they do recorded. After you hear this album your mind may be blown away by that live statement, because this album shouldwill impress anyone (music snob or not). Highly Recommendedededdeded

Standout Tracks: I'm In Your Church At Night, She Was A Vision, Wilderness

No comments:

Post a Comment