Monday, October 11, 2010

REVIEW: Jon Lemmon - Kindling

8.5 out of 10

About a month ago I posted about a new/FREE album titled "Kindling" by up and comer Jon Lemmon. Since then I have been playing the album almost non-stop on my mp3 player. Yep, I'm a fan.

On "Kindling" Jon fuses elements of Indie Pop with "Club-y", Pysch-y, Electronica(-y), and Social Discontent(no "-y" here). Tracks like "... . . .words. . . ..." remind me M83's earlier years, the song "The Inside Of A Corner" may be one of the best Electronic Post Punk songs I have ever heard, and the song "Steppenwolf, Pg. 247" almost gives me the chills when the glitchy vocals towards the end of the song pick up (this song sort of reminds me of Notwist). Which makes me wonder, why would/should anyone would ever be afraid of sharing their music? Music is the best way to understand anyone. (I live by that rule) Either way, Jon may have been a little hesitant to release this album, but lucky for us he did. By doing so, Mr. Lemmon gave us one of the best EP's of the year. Every song on here is a hit with my ears. I can't really find a song/noise/melody/chorus or any other din for that matter that I disagree with. I hopeknow you will be just as obsessed with this album as I am. This is Isolation Pop at it's finest.

The general tone feels bleak, the way it is portrayed however, feels uplifting. If you survived (or are surviving) your teen years you may find something very bitter sweet about this. Otherwise, if you just enjoy terrific music, know that you just about read about one of the best albums you will read about this year. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Standout Tracks: I like em all, but I REALLY LOVE "The Inside Of A Corner" it has this "Post Punk" tone to it that daaammmmn, just feels right between my headphones.

No comments:

Post a Comment