Tuesday, September 14, 2010

REVIEW: Viernes - Sinister Devices

9.25 out of 10

OK I know, you probably think EIC is the last blog on the net to jump on the Viernes wagon right? Truth is, I've been soaking in "Sinister Devices" for months now. I've been thinking to myself "are there words that can justify my feelings for this release?".. I just can't hold back anymore, even though my words may not (probably won't) justify the quality of sounds that are present on this album I just need you to know ..I approve (and then some). Viernes "Sinister Devices" is one of the best albums anyone will lay ears on this year. (guaranteed) So what's the "genre", what kind of music does Viernes create, well..

Viernes, which means "Friday" in Spanish, began as a project between friends Sean Moore and Alberto Hernandez. The duo would meet every Friday afternoon and attempt to write music that was currently influencing them. Here's the best part; they nailed it as well as added a bit of originality to the mix. And here's the list of influences; My Bloody Valentine, Liars, William Basinsky, & Van Dyke Parks. Now if you know these names, which for your sake I would hope you did, you now know how excited you need to get for this album. "Sinister Devices" delivers the best production values anyone could ask for, unique & raw/enriched layers of sound, stellar vocal harmonies, and just one of the best feelings you've come to expect from listening to a REALLY AMAZING ALBUM. I think one of the things I appreciate the most about this album is it's "throwback" sound towards "yesterdays" music scene. "Sinister Devices" mixes the best elements of Shoegaze, Psych Rock/Pop, Dream Pop, Post Punk, & Classical Instrumentation with pure genius and ferocity. This album was made for an audiophile. "Sinister Devices" will be an astonishing feat to surpass this year, so expect to see this one very high up on myOUR year end list.

If you don't get thisGET THIS NOW. (not an option). Hi, Lee Recuhm, End It.

Standout Tracks: ALL Sinister Love, Enhanced Pendulum Channel, Entire Empire, Glacial Change Of Pace (soooooo good), Honest Parade (this reminds me of Radiohead for some reason), Ancient Amazon/New Fashion (love the piano/horn on this), Liquid Tunnel, FAULTY INVESTMENTS (the time change on this track, the piano, the strings.. it's all just.. wow), Sinister Devices

No comments:

Post a Comment