Monday, September 20, 2010

REVIEW: Universe - Gazing, Gazing

8.75 out of 10

If you know me, you may know that I have a decent size crush on all things "spacey/cosmic". The scenery is mysterious/filled with infinite possibilities and the sounds (oh the sounds) are generally represented by meditative, surreal, and comforting noises. It should be no secret (knowing what I just told you) that when a good representation of galactic narratives comes out I tend to swoon over it. Whether it be something Ambient like Brian Eno's "Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks" or something more "trippy/bizarre" such as Pink Floyd's "Saucerful Of Secrets", or something a bit more "modern" such as M83's "Digital Shades Vol. 1" I am/will always be a sucker for feeling a black hole burst between my headphones and suck me into a dimension I could never fathom. Enter "the new dimension", Universe (a perfect name). Universe combines elements of Vangelis, with Jean Michel-Jarre, Brian Eno, a few "modern" aspects, honest vocals, and yes, that "black hole" in music that I constantly crave.

Space Pop may or may not be an easy craft to master, but for the artists that do so it seems all of their "big" albums stand the test of time and always receive high appraisal. Universe's "Gazing, Gazing", Hunter's (Mr. Universe) 3rd full length under the moniker, is a beautiful piece of cosmic nostalgia that will indeed stand the test of time AND, if people catch on, will receive LOTS of compliments . Synthesizer is the main instrument which definitely gives it that "futuristic/meta galactic" feel. However, the element of electronic drum loops and "easy to listen" Pop vocals make this a unique representation of said genre "Space Pop". Tracks like "I" remind me of the later Glam Pop days had they been reproduced by the likes of Tangerine Dream. "Minerals" is pure space pulp, gorgeous swells and bubbly synths are in pitch perfect form on this one. For the most part this album is very relaxing (upbeat at certain points), comforting (you'll either smile or feel content), and surreal (I imagine Mr. Universe penned all of his many compositions while traveling in parts of the galaxy no other man has gone yet). "Gazing, Gazing" is just the way I likeLOVE my music. Carl Sagan eat your heart out.

Hand's down one of the best releases 2010 will see. A perfect score for the space traveling astronaut in all of us. Outer space is Universal. Universe is right here on Earth. If you can reach for something that significant why wouldn't you. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Standout Tracks: All, but mainly; I (ear crack), Minerals, Faces (the chord's on this one remind me of Philip Glass), Ginger Gold Light, Nova Albion (I'd be OK with this lasting forever), Mountains & Minds

No comments:

Post a Comment