Monday, September 20, 2010

EIC'S10Q'S w/Universe

"..feeling a black hole burst between my headphones and suck me into a dimension I could never fathom.."


Universe
The Void Above As Seen From Below

Universe Bio:
Universe has pushed itself further to create a bold, beautiful and unique album. Pulling in aspects of pop, psychedelic, new age, and bedroom rock. Hunter John, the projects creator hides nothing in his voice or lyrics. In an era where bands use heavy effects to hide behind; you can hear all his dreams, hopes, and fears. Universe is universal.



Hello, how are you?
Hello! Right now I am Decent. I just got back from a camping trip with my fiancee. We went up to the Sequoia National Forest. We took really long windy ways there that totally went off the directions. Up mountains, down mountains, through deserts, past Maricopa; Taft...and all the way past Bakersfield to that crazy mountain pass. We did some swimming, went to this place called like "The Land of 100 Giants", where you walk around looking at all these HUGE Sequoias. I have never seen on before...Have you!? You can go inside them, I guess they used to hold cattle in some of them. There were random Cows wandering around the forest, the smell was pine-y. I got to take an outdoor shower, which is always awesome. I really wanted to read the Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark triolgy to my fiancee, but i didn't have them. mainly I was craving to hear the story about the Wendigo. I've been obsessing over wind. On the way back we even took a crazier route home, which ended with us looking at some ancient Chumash cave paintings and hanging out at Neverland Ranch. I filmed the entire trip on VHS-C.

What are you currently listening to?
This second I'm listening to a dog walk around, there is some sounds outside, I was trying to find some music to listen to earlier but was distracted by trying to figure out how to file for unemployment, and reading about the Wendigo. Musically though, I've been really into this song by Vangelis track called "Rachel's Song". His stuff is always so amazing. "Never Die Young" by James Taylor is pretty good. Those Lovely Ladies of Strawberry Switchblade have a lovely demo called "Dark 7" I've been listening to Orchestral Manoeuvres In the Dark a bit. I have a tape of their album Organisation in the car...Their song "Promise" has like the coolest bassline I've heard in a really long time. "VCL XI" off that album is great too. That bands status in the states is so sad. Many people just know them from John Hughes soundtracks, that stuff is waay past their prime. "Organisation" sounds like the next lost Joy Division album or something. I feel like that has some serious respect over in the UK. I'm always listening to David Sylvian, Grouper is good, although she's an uncomfortable person to try to have a conversation with in person. I've tried a few times to chit-chat with her and she always seems to not want to. I've given her some of my music very politely and shes never thanked or written me about it. It's not that I think I'm entitled to her approval, but it's just a nice thing to do. I did the same thing with Ramona from Nite Jewel and we became friends out of it. I consider Nite Jewel an acquaintance to Universe on the L.A electronic scene. I guess I was expecting that sort of thing, but when you throw yourself out there to strangers looking for friends I guess sometimes you're asking for it. I just was so amazed by her music and felt some sort fo strange connection bewteen Univers and grouper. But I do enjoy Grouper. I think "Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill" is a very important album, and I think she should have been chosen to score Where The Wild Things Are. I Can't listen to "Traveling Through A Sea" without being bummed that that song doesn't play on his journey. Fuck Karen O. Fuck Yeah Yeah Yeah's. they had their time. Back to Grouper...'Little Gray Cat" is a beautiful song, and for that Liz, regardless of you lack of contact...I thank you.


Other than your music sounding 'spacey', is there a reason you chose the name 'Universe'?
Well, the real story isn't so interesting, but one night I was on Youtube and this weird add came up for this place called "Tiger University", but the add was being cutoff but another window being open, so I was like what is Tiger Universe???? I really liked that named. Universe was originally called "Tiger's Universe", but after a while I just shortened it to Universe. I think out there somewhere are demos under the name Tiger's Universe. On some nameless computer in some nameless part of the world. Possibly Omaha. Now to me Universe means Universal. This project can shift, form, and be anything. The album that will come after "Gazing, Gazing" is totally different.

How long have you been working on this project?
Universe has been going on since February of 2007. Although it was officially named in July of 07. Before that February, I was going under the name Red Square, which a bunch of songs made in Reason. Before that I was going by the name Tape Noir, which was kind of Industrial...Covenant meets Ladytron. ANNND before that I went by Shepard's Teenage Suicide...Which is the coolest band name yet. Universe started when I had a mental breakdown and forced myself to only work on stuff off the computer. It really helped and I believe I became closer to what I've always wanted to be musically when I made that switch. I still have all those demos. Someday I want to do a release with them. Faces, which can be heard on "Gazing, Gazing" is one of the early demos; evolved.

Now that "Gazing, Gazing" is out do you plan on touring the US with it?
Oh god, I'd Love to. I feel so out of the loop and disconnected from other musicians touring and releasing. I've been teased with Record deals for so long now that I just always end up self releasing. It sucks because I really really believe in "Gazing, Gazing". It's just going to be a matter of time, and finding the right person to release it. I'll admit that I seem to have found more of a niche for my stuff thee days, and people are really responding to Universe more than ever. It's all about patience and perseverance. But yes, I would love to tour the US with Universe. I've driven across the country 7 times and and love playing shows in Oklahoma. It totally freaks them out. But they will remember it forever. I'd love to tour Australia too....Hint hint Aussie connections.

Have any 'embarrassing/funny' tour stories?
Not really. Last summer I was living with an ex girlfriend in San Francisco. I was getting a good amount of shows but she was really threatened by any girl I would become friends with. A friend of mine who I met at one of my shows asked me to play at her house for a party. I did. My ex came with me and forced me to not talk to anyone. It was really weird. I played this show and then had to leave without saying anything to anyone. Am I getting to personal on this interview? Haha!!! I also had the best band in the world Love Like Deloreans Crash at her place when they were on their west coast tour. That was awesome. we played some shows and I got them this awesome gig at a huge house party randomly. We had just played a show at The Knockout Bar in SF, and we went to this party. I was like guys...you NEED to play here! show SF what real music sounds like! I kept running around the party trying to find who lived in the place. I finally found the owner, and was like.."Listen...the BEST band from Brooklyn just got here tonight..I am their manager and they NEED to play here"...That is probably one of my favorite music memories. They played on guitar amps. It was awesome. You can see video footage of it HERE..I'm dancing like a fool:

If you could score any movie or TV show of your choice what would it be?

I actually went to film school. I scored some stuff there, and always have wanted to get into it more. People always tell me that Universe would sound so awesome in movies. It will probably pay the bills someday, so that's what I'm currently trying to get into. I've always wanted to scored a children's T.V show, and as far as movies, my dear friend Joshua Brandon is working on his first feature length. I'd love to score it but he is going a different route for the sound. Perhaps I can do a version for it. you can see the trailer HERE.

What is your favorite genre of music and why?
I don't have a favorite genre. I'm not even sure if I believe in genres anymore. These past few years I've really been adapting to music that makes me feel really good, and can be respected and appreciated in multiple settings. I like stuff I can listen to in the car. Echo & The Bunnymen are great at this. They can be listened to loud, quiet, headphones, cars, parties. Amen to those dudes. There is so much amazing music out there, I can't even begin to pick one kind I like better than others.

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?
I read this one a lot before Making a decision, but it would have to be "Secrets of the Beehive" by David Sylvian. Sylvian is the most important musician to me EVER. its a serious hard tie between "Secrets of the Beehive" and his Album called "Gone to Earth". "Gone to Earth" has some of my favorite songs ever on it, yet "Secrets of the Beehive" is so coherent, so personal, so perfect. It sets a really amazing mood. has some great borderline pop songs (Orpheus, Let the Happiness In). An album should capture a theme. It should flow and relate to itself. Secrets does this perfectly. it's pretty near being a perfect album.

Are you living your dream?
It's all a process. In terms of having albums out there, and touring and meeting creative people...No I'm not fully there yet, although hints of it keep breaking through. "Gazing, Gazing" is a dream. It came out wonderfully and I really want people to hear it. I want to do this as a career. I want people to be touched and inspired by Universe, much how I'm respected by their projects. Hopefully in the times to come, I can turn the dreams of being a working musician to a reality.

Thanx Hunter!!

Universe just released "Gazing, Gazing", get it, soak it in, become obsessed, and then go get the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment