Tuesday, August 17, 2010

REVIEW: Thrushes - Night Falls

7.25 out of 10
Find it here.

Thrushes are a four-piece Indie-Dream Pop/Shoegaze band based out of Baltimore. "Night Falls" is the groups second album. I first came across this group via an Amazon Shoegaze List of some sort, they (the lister) recommended "Sun Come Undone" by Thrushes. Sidenote: If you've never used "Listmania" on Amazon you are missing out on one of the greatest ways to discover things you have never heard of. Any-who back to the point at hand.. 3 years later the group is back and ready to share some more Blissful Pop Fun and I couldn't be happier.

For the most part "Night Falls" is an "uplifting/fun album". It's upbeat and poppy in all the right parts. Great bass lines, tight drums, soaring vocals that are both endearing and triumphant. But the parts that really get me are the accomplished guitar melodies/distortions that are somewhat reminiscent of MBV. If this albums gets the attention it deserves it couldwill end up on close to every body's year end list. This is indeed an "Indie Pop" album, whatever that even means these days, but know this; I'm very picky with Indie Pop. Most of it sounds the same (sorry to offend anyone) and it usually does nothing for me -- that is unless it's done "right". Give me unique, give me catchy, give me something I will crave. Thrushes "Night Falls" is the kind of music made for anyone that's ever liked any band labeled "Indie-anything". "Night Falls" is for the kind of person needing some perfect Pop simplicity with a few intricate layers of smart noise.

If Phil Spector (I'm actually re-going through a Spector phase right now--so this is good) had the ability to produce Indie Pop albums for likes of The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart and other bands of that nature I imagine it would sound something like Thrushes. Recommended.

Standout Tracks: They're all pretty catchy.. Trees, Crystals, Night Falls (love the guitar and drum work on this one), Juggernaut (←yeah, what he said)

No comments:

Post a Comment