Monday, August 2, 2010

REVIEW: Nite Jewel - Am I Real

7.5 out of 10
Find it here.

Is it time already for another "glimmering-sleaze chill-out bliss session" via Ms. Gonzalez? I don't see why not. Her latest album was one of the shining moments of last year. She's managed to do some amazing remixes for other terrific bands like Caribou. And she's managed to steal my heart away with every breathtaking note she displays. So, yes, HELL YES! It's time for a new Nite Jewel EP!


People are always talking about this "80's Comeback", well here's your comeback people. Nite Jewel's music sounds like montage clip notes from a time when nylon was (even more) popular, neon was the only color, and music was 70% synth based. Nite Jewel has managed to sum up an entire decade with only a couple EP's and one full length. "Am I Real" starts off exactly where "Good Evening" left off. Vintage synthesizers warped & wobbled underneath 8-track distorted cheese with "chill-out" Disco anthems from Ramona Gonzalez's sultry vocals. Actually, some of the tracks off of "Am I Real" are remastered jams from her tour only EP "You F O", which was basically a companion piece to "Good Evening". Seriously though, my love for this project grows stronger everyday as I fall deeper into an 80's coma.

Fans of Nite Jewel, you know what you're in for (that's a good thing). For people unaware of the brilliance that is Nite Jewel; imagine a cross between Junior Boys and 80's Gloomy Disco-Pop. RECOMMENDED.


Standout Tracks:Another Horizon, Forget You & I, Am I Real

No comments:

Post a Comment