Monday, July 5, 2010

REVIEW: Warm Ghost - Claws Overhead

7.75 out of 10

Geographic North are one of those web labels that consistently put out great albums by some of the best talent out there. I was excited to receive this album in the mail when I did because I knew I was in for a treat. However, I may have underestimated how much of I treat I was actually in for..

When I hear of bands that site their influences anywhere from Depeche Mode to Autechre to Fennesz I'm definitely gonna be curious. When I hear that said band mates have worked with the likes of Bear In Heaven, Grizzly Bear, Sun O))), Jim O'Rourke, Rhys Chatham and Lotus Plaza (to name a few) then it's official; I have to know more NOW. Warm Ghost is a two person project featuring Paul Duncan of Home Tapes, and Oliver Chapoy of Helado Negro. The music of Warm Ghost could best be classified as Dream Pop, super thick/lush Dream Pop with a forward thinking electronic soundscapes to back it up. "Claws Overhead" is the duo's first release and, simply put, it's gorgeous. Lush guitar saturation's are layered on top of dense synthetic sounds. Melodic and dreamy vocals bounce and splash in and underneath a vast amount of distorted utopian bliss. And sure, the bands knows how to use a few production secrets as well as utilize a distortion pedal to it's maximum potential. But, the band also has away with writing the most analeptic pop songs within the underground market today. The title track "Claws Overhead" in my opinion is begging to be overplayed/looped on a many-a-media players. And I'm sure once/if (they better) this band gets noticed, songs like "Claws Overhead" will be placed on many personal mix tapes. Essentially what I'm saying is that it's a damn good track that could be as addictive as crack towards the right audience. The rest of the songs on this EP are just as stunning and beautiful. The terrific layers of synthesizers and guitar sounds on this album are adept & effective. Because of this, I would definitely suggest investing in a nice pair of headphones when soaking it in. You will be engulfed in the best kind of tranquil entertainment you could ask for.

Fans of Ulrich Schnauss and/or Languis will swoon over sounds presented on "Claws Overhead". Expect this on my year end list. Highly Recommended.

Standout Tracks: There all so good, but especially; Claws Overhead (gawd this song is sooo amazing)

2 comments:

  1. sooooo soooo gooood!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this reads higher than a 7.75. i give it a 9. beautiful stuff. all of paul's music is good, but he really stepped it up with Warm Ghost.

    ReplyDelete