Thursday, December 3, 2009

EIC'S10Q'S w/AI Records

"..the kind of sounds you will hear could easily be classified as "electronic", but more than just a simple beat, danceable bleeps/bloops, and robotic goodness, it's smart, ultramodern, lustrous, and hopefully the future of independent labels.."


AI Records
Autonomous Contemporary Consonance

AI Records Bio:
(see below)


What are you currently listening to?
I am currently listening to a lot of demos.. Lots of them are projects for next year..
Apart from that my fave album at the moment is ‘Trouble man’.

How did the idea for AI records come up?
Ai was founded at the electronic lounge...
It began as an idea between me (jason) and phil, initially intended as a electronic music magazine called area 39.
Then after a few interviews with the likes of akin from irdial and lee purkis and many others we then set a design project to farnham college design students to create some spreads for the magazine. There we met steve and we liked what he did for the magazine.
After a few meetings we decided to ditch the magazine and set up a record label instead and to release a record together of our own tracks. So we borrowed some equipment and set up a studio with some key pieces a dx7, dx100 and a PMA5 (after harassing Autechre on stage asking them what that amazing piece of kit they were using was). After an all night session in a friends recording studio in blows yard Ai was born.

Who was the first band you signed?
We have only really signed one band “ Sinner DC” all the other artists are solo artists.

What is your favorite record label of all time?
Transmat.

How did you choose the songs for the “When I Was Ten” compilation?
Back in November 08 I loaded up my ipod with every single demo track from all the core artists still on Ai from 1999 to now.
Then I began selecting the unreleased tracks that would form the “when I was ten” project.

What is your favorite track on the compilation?
FZV / EOC / PATHIC / PLANT43. if I had to choose some... I cant really name one as there all faves for one reason or another.
As I have lived with these tracks for a long time..

What’s next for AI records?
Ai will start a different chapter. This year has been about a celebration of 10 years.
The industry is changing and Ai needs to adapt accordingly.

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?
Impossible question!
I would have to compile my own album.. Sorry.

Are you living your dream?
Im having fun, if that’s what you mean..
I have learnt a lot about what actually is important in life recently.....

Thanx Jason!

AI Records just released "When I Was Ten", you should go buy that ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment