Wednesday, October 28, 2009

REVIEW: No. 9 - Http://9-9-9-9-9.com

7 out of 10

I've been trying to keep my ears peeled for any new releases involving Japanese producer No. 9 ever since his album "Mushi No-Ne" (loosely translated to "Sound of insects") came out. It was a concept album involving live field recordings of bugs, which he then cut, distorted and stretched into IDM music. An amazing album to check into if you haven't yet. It can be a tedious/hard task, keeping up with all of the amazing underground electronic artists coming out of Japan. Which is precisely why I can say that "Http://9-9-9-9-9.com" is only the third (of 6 total) No. 9 albums I own. Maybe I'll take up some Japanese lessons again one day just so I can learn how to order amazing music off of sights that currently look like hieroglyphics to me.

"Http://9-9-9-9-9.com" is a project dedicated to watching plants and feeling music. According to No. 9 (whom I agree with) we are all connected and that this album is a conversation between city and nature. That being said, with this album you can expect to hear organic found sounds mixed quite nicely with computer based electronic beats/sounds. I am reminded of The Orb meets Chris Clark meets that cheesy "ambient" music you would expect to hear in a store like New Realities. Strings/various other acoustics and piano keep the general melody going while mostly upbeat claps, thumps, snares, and clicks keep the tempo fun.

Cute Indie Electronic IDM-esque music good for a calm warm day.

Standout Tracks: Urban Nature, Flower Shop, Last Song

No comments:

Post a Comment