Monday, October 26, 2009

EIC'S10Q'S w/Banjo Or Freakout

"..begins with a distant piano twinkle drowning in guitar fuzz and is followed shortly by Alessio Andalusia's soothing vocal ability and faint, but effective synthesized loops. As the strumming continues the fuzz builds on top of itself over and over. Towards the end of it the whole thing is completely buried underneath angelic hums of reverb.."


Banjo Or Freakout
Affectionate Glowing Oscillations

Banjo Or Freakout Bio:
Right... Banjo or Freakout was born after spending a night waiting for my girlfriend in a flat in hackeny, london. she was working and ... (more) i was in this place with other people i didn't want to talk so i turned on my girlfriend’s computer and started to mess around with a music program. the first song i 'wrote' was called freak out, the second jim o'rourke but it's probably better if you don't hear them. from here I started to see making music with computer was something really different. you can dick around with a stupid sound for ages. it's great! i work with one rule, a bitch of a rule, my rule is to record every track just one time. no second chance. but i can adjust things by changing the sounds with my cheap mac software. lots of fun. you should try it. it took me a while to put these songs on myspace because my focus was on my other band but they did finally make it here. enjoy the songs.


Hello, how are you?
Yeah, I'm ok. London is starting to get cold and the sky is grey on saturday morning which is a bit depressing but a part from that I'm good and excited about a million things.

What are you currently listening to?
I've been obsessed with Judee Sill for the last couple of weeks.

How did you come up with the name Banjo Or Freakout?
Long story but not that funny. I used to book some shows with my friend when I was living in Italy and one night we booked this band from California called ‘Need New Body’ who were absolutely amazing! They were playing a weird mix of post punk, kraut and folk. They also had a banjo in the line up. Basically after an amazing show in front of 20 people they came back on stage for the encore and one of them said “so, you guys want banjo or freakout?“. I thought it could have been a good name for a band.

What are your thoughts on the many comparisons to Animal Collective?
Comparisons are for lazy people and I really don't think my music sound that much like AC even if I think they are great.

Who are your main influences?
There are so many bands I like and that inspire me. I've been playing music in different bands for a long time now. I think like everyone I started almost emulating bands I was a fan of and then I naturally moved on and developed my own way to approach music. Banjo or Freakout started pretty casually without any idea of where I wanted to go. At first it sounded more noisy and weird and mostly instrumental then I decide to try to insert my voice and things started to come together. I started to work on my music intensely and to listen back anywhere I was, giving myself the idea of where I wanted to go with. The thing is that when you spend a lot of time writing, recording and listening back you kind of influence yourself if you see what I mean.

What is the name of the upcoming full length, and is there a set release date?
There's no name yet. I like classic things so I'll probably gonna call it 'Banjo or Freakout' and I want it bo be out in April. Fingers crossed!

Once “insert album title here” comes out will there be a full US tour?
Absolutely yes. I'm working on that now. I really want to come and tour the US!!

Is there any band in particular that you would like to tour with?
Hmmm... CAN? Would you sort that out for me?


You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?
Arthur Russell "Word Of Echo".

Are you living your dream?
I'm making my dream!

Thanx Alessio!

Banjo Or Freakout is currently hard at work finishing up the debut full length, which will probably be out in 2010..

No comments:

Post a Comment