Thursday, August 20, 2009

REVIEW: Aoki Takamasa + Tujiko Noriko - 28

9 out of 10

"28" is what happens when two (then 28 year old) lovely ladies cross circuits & swap geniuses. Aoki Takamasa is a an electronic producer who has released a handful of albums on her own. Tujiko Noriko is another amazing producer who has a few credits under her name. The two have preformed together a handful of times as well as belong to the same tight-knit Indie Electronic circuit in Japan. "28" came out in 2005 via FatCat Records and blah..blah, wait! How the hell did this album slip past me!? I can't believe I'm just now discovering this dreamy delight.. I'm in-love, sooooooooooo good.

Much like my favorite release of last year ("Parades" by Miko) A.T. + T.N. create a magic spell that just won't let you go until the end. However, instead of focusing on the "psychedelic" side of electronic music, they focus their energy on extremely precise cuts/clicks/and glitches. "28" is a stunning album with a sweet amount of melodic female vocals, layered, scratched, skipped, and skewed over music that sounds like it has been reversed and then stretched out and layered underneath sparse IDM beats. The vocal sampling/minimal glitches are what really get me, I cant stress that enough. Just go buy this, I'll buy it from you if you don't like it.

"28" is Asian influenced Dream Pop opus conducted by/from a computer virus. If you like "gentle" IDM sounds (Dntel), relaxing atmospheres, Japanese culture, "cutesy female vocal f/x", and just all around amazing music BUY THIS NOW. HIGHLY RECOMMMENDED.

Standout Tracks: ALL. but ESPECIALLY "Then The Night Comes" "Doki Doki Last Night" "26th Floor (I'm going to put this song on so many compilations in the future I just know it)" "Alien"

No comments:

Post a Comment