Monday, August 24, 2009

EIC'S10Q'S w/Es

"Meditative hums with trickles of macrocosmic sounds pouring all over each other.."


Altered Amoebic Raconteur

Es Bio:
Sami Sänpäkkilä aka Es lives and works near the forests of Tampere, Finland. He is a musician, film-maker and the head of Fonal Records. To date he has released five full length releases under the name Es. Sami has made short films and music videos which have been screened in various museums, art galleries and film festivals around the world. The films and the music are experimental moodscapes that explore the themes of melancholy, pathos and hope.


Hello, how are you?
Im alright thanks, been quite busy and moved house. But hopefully all for the better with the changes so Im excited!


What are you currently listening to?
Been listening to Arvo Pärt, Stockhausen, Velvet Underground, The Cure, Bear Bones Lay Low, Firehose, Alice Coltrane... and a lot more, been listening to quite a lot of music lately actually.

What’s the music scene like in Finland?
Its friends having fun. At least the people I hang out with. Its very tight friendships and loose musical relationships.

What’s with the band name?
When I began making music sometime in the early 90's I did it on my floor with a 4-track. It was cold and I used to wear this woolly socks that belonged to my grandfather. His initials were E.S. Thats were the name comes from. Later I made a few short loop tracks called Experimental Songcycles and that was dubbed as the meaning.

What is your favorite song you have written?
"She puts out the fire in her heart with her tears" from the album A Love Cycle. Although I think its my worst album as a whole.

You started the record label Fonal, how did this come about? How has it been treating you? And What are the next planned releases?
I began just to release my own music. First release was a cassette with Es, Kiila and Slaughterhouse Quintet. All in which I also played in. Fonal has been an amazing thing. First 8 years I did it as a hobby and the last 8 years I've finally managed to make some of the money back that I put in it from my summer job pays. Next up is pretty exciting things, very experimental stuff. Tuusanuuskat which is a duo by me and Jan of Kemialliset Ystävät and Tomutonttu and a couple of other releases that havent totally been finalised yet so I dont wanna say anything yet cause it might take a long time to get anything done.

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?
Terry Rileys "Harp Of The New Albion".

Are you living your dream?
The dream I once had yes. Now I have luckily come up with new dreams.

Thanx Sami!

Es (aka Sami) is currently running his label Fonal, look for many new releases soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment