Wednesday, June 10, 2009

REVIEW: Deerhunter - Rainwater Cassette Exchange

6.75 out of 10

Yahoo! Another new Deerhunter release ..has it been that long? Either way, I was pumped to get this album in the mail yesterday (as I always am when I get new Deerhunter material). None of the tracks on here are considered "b-sides" or "leftovers" from previous albums either, but rather a new EP with newly completed songs. Apparently Deerhunter is a big fan of EP's, which is ok with me, because it's generally the EP's that deliver the most punch. Why else would a band release such a short album unless they believed in the tracks enough.

Now comes the sad news. I LOVE Deerhunter and anything any of the members do with any other project, however with "Rainwater Cassette Exchange" I feel the cogency that gives Deerhunter their "edge" over other Indie Rock acts is kind of lacking. I really do hate to say any un-kind words toward this band, but I feel as if the songs on this EP DO serve as better "leftovers" from "Microcastle/Weird Era Cont." and would've made for a nice 3rd disc instead. When listening to this EP it does feel a lot like previous release "Microcastle..." ( which was lighter & poppier than "Cryptograms"), but most of the tracks feel as if they're missing a layer of noise/instrumentation.

Please, don't get me wrong, I love, and probably always will love Deerhunter, I just feel out of all their MANY releases (both online and off) this would be their most impaired set of songs. I would still recommend this release to any Deerhunter fan, it just seems with every new Deerhunter song the band edges closer and closer to Atlas Sound's umm, sound. I'd like to hear em' bring back the raw & punky sounds from their first release "Turn It Up Faggot". What can I say? I miss the dark side of Deerhunter. I don't know, maybe it has to grow on me a little more, so did their last album..

Standout Tracks: Disappearing Ink (soooo close, just needs to be a couple minutes longer), Game Of Diamonds (I like the bongos), Circulation

No comments:

Post a Comment