Sunday, June 14, 2009

EIC'S10Q'S w/Polly Scattergood

Wikipedia defines Pop Music as "a music genre that features a noticeable rhythmic element, melodies and hooks, a mainstream style and a conventional structure". EIC describes GOOD Pop Music as...


Polly Scattergood
Empress of the rising Clandestine-Pop movement

Polly Scattergood Bio:
London-based Polly Scattergood blends the progressive arrangements and vocal acrobatics of Kate Bush, Björk, and Tori Amos with the indie pop sensibilities of Cat Power and Patrick Wolf, resulting in a powerful, dramatic, and volatile tonic that landed the precocious artist a deal with Mute Records at the age of 22. Her first single, "Nitrogen Pink," arrived in November 2007, followed by an eponymous full-length debut in 2009.


Hello, how are you?
I am good thank you, we did a gig last night so I am a bit sleepy, but good!

What are you currently listening to?
I am currently listening to the Vampire Weekend album, I have also been listening to David Bowie lots this week

Pardon my ignorance, ..but is “Polly Scattergood” your birth name?
Yeah unfortunately it is - blame the parents!

What was the last full time job you had (before entering the world of music)?
Music has always been my full time job, but I had to juggle many part time job around it to pay my rent! The last one I had was working on the London Markets selling tomatoes

At what age did you first pick a musical instrument?
When did you know you wanted to become a full time musician?
I never really picked a instrument or had a moment where I decided to be a full time musician, it just sort of happened!
There was always a out of tune piano in the house that I used to bash away at as a kid, and when I got a bit older I taught myself guitar after I found one in the coat cupboard,
but there was never a moment where picked a instrument. I just like to make music with whatever I can lay my hands on.
I spent all my time making music as that's what I love to do, and I guess that's when it became full time.

I really appreciate the unique touch of synthesizers and keyboards on your debut album ..will we hear more of those sounds in the future, or do you think you will eventually phase those sounds out?
I have no idea. I am always having new ideas and I always want to push myself, but on the other hand, I love synthesizers, keyboards, textures and layers.
I guess the truth is I really don't have a clue until I get back into the studio. I make music according to how I am feeling at that moment, until I am at that moment I can't really answer the question!

If you could collaborate with any musician of your choice who would it be?

I would love to collaborate with many people. I love real wordsmiths like Dizzee Rascal & Eminem. I also would love collaborate with someone like Shane Meadows and combine music and film.
I am always open to creative ideas. I find working with other people really interesting, especially when you get two people coming from completely different ends of the spectrum & meeting somewhere in the middle,
if nothing else, its a interesting musical adventure!

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?
Portishead "Dummy"

Are you living your dream?
I guess I am.
I am living day to day, I love playing live and being on the road, and so long as I can keep writing I am happy.

Thanx Polly!

Polly Scattergood's debut album is out now, be sure to check it out..

No comments:

Post a Comment