Tuesday, April 7, 2009

REVIEW: Pyramids - Pyramids

8.25 out of 10

One of the first things you should know about me is that I generally don't care for "metal" music. It's "ok", but my ears weren't really built to house that "noise". However, the other day I was 20,000 leagues under the sea. I heard a faint, but familiar noise not too far off. "Where am I?" "Is that a mosh pit underneath the ocean?" "How did this band get their equipment to work under water?" What?

Pyramids aren't really "metal", but more of a HEAVILY-reverberated-ambient-Shoegaze with post-modern-trash-metal blast-beats kind-of-band. Phew! That's a lot to say.. Pyramids self-titled 2 disc Hydra Head Records debut is one of the best "Shoegaze" albums I've heard in a loong time. I'll be honest with you, I only checked this album out due to the Lovesliescrushing remixes, but I don't regret it. Actually Pyramids kind of come off as a "Lovesliescrushing Jr." meets Genghis Tron. Yeah, I know, strange combination, but somehow it's pulled off with ease.

Track 1, "Sleds", will let bring you to the bottom of this reverberated aquatic tank of perversions. Mellow vocals, endless amounts (this can't be said enough) ENDLESS AMOUNTS of REVERB, not just on guitars, on EVERYTHING. Track 2, "Igloo", will make your blood boil with it's double-kicked anger while freezing you with frigid/bizarre ambiences. It's back and forth with the songs on this album. One minute it will be extremely mellow ambient bliss, the next pure madness and insanity. I'm also getting a "Deftones meets Grouper" kind of vibe. If reverb is your thing, you may have found one of your "new gods".

Mermaids and mermen; "Pyramids are one of the best & MOST UNIQUE/hypnotic "nugazers/experimental metal bands" period." Take a dive, but don't expect to come out anytime soon.

Standout Tracks: Sleds, Igloo, The Echo Of Something Lovely, End Resolve, Hellmonk (Sounds like hell underwater--eerie), The Echo Of Something Lovely (Toby Driver/Ted Parsons/Colin Marston), The Echo Of Something Lovely (Jesu), Sleds (Lovesliescrushing), Ghost (Birchville Cat Motel), The Echo Of Something Lovely (James Plotkin), The Echo Of Something Lovely (Lovesliescrushing)

No comments:

Post a Comment