Monday, April 13, 2009

REVIEW: Portal - Options E.P.

8.5 out of 10

Wow. As generic as it sounds, that's the only thing I thought the second the music started on Portal's "Options E.P.", WOW. Portal is a band off of the Make Mine Music label. Which is also home to terrific Indie-Ambient masters like Epic45, July Skies, Piano Magic, and Library Tapes. Portal is just further proof that Make Mine Music (which is coincidentally run by Scott Sinfield of Portal) only sign the best in their genre.

Portal is what you get when you mix Sinner DC, Guitar, M83, and Faunts, with poppy, sometimes ethereal vocals. Spacey synths, low bass arpeggiations, more than effective electro style drumming, spacey synths, guitar, some vocals that sound nearly identical to Erlend Oye, spacey synths, and some vocals that are gorgeous female hymns reminiscent almost of This Mortal Coil. This album should make Portal a house hold name, shame on any of you who don't spread the word. If you're into Dark & Modern Pop you must own this now.

EVERY TRACK IS FLAWLESS/Glorious Electropsychedeliagaze-Pop. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Another great from 09..I am just floored by this release. Please give me more "options" soon Portal, don't make me wait..

P.S. I Just listened to this album 3 times in a row ..and I'm not done yet.

Standout Tracks: For all the times I've said "All of them", I mean it the most with this release.

No comments:

Post a Comment