Sunday, April 5, 2009

REVIEW: Baikonour - Your Ear Knows Future

8 out of 10

Baikonour is one man, Jean-Emmanuel Krieger, from the UK. "Your Ear Knows Future" is his second release under this moniker. ..Ok, I know I reference M83 a lot. And I'll try to come up with better comparisons in the future, but what can I say I am obsessed. And, although "Your Ear Knows Future" sounds a little like them, it also comes across as a lost Krautrock gem from the 70's. Think M83 meets Neu!.

"Your Ear.." sounds like a trippy mind bender spun through sequencers, 60's-70's era guitar riffs, rock drums, found sounds, special appearance bass-lines from Fujiya & Miyagi's Lee Adams, and breathy choir effects. Imagine, if it was possible, there is an underwater desert with the most serene/alien-like visuals from bizarre plants and animals, this would be the soundtrack of it's discovery.

If you're a fan of Krautrock, M83, Neu!, early Pink Floyd, Fujiya & Miyagi, The Alps, Turzi, Battles, or psychedelic music listen to this immediately. "Your Ear Knows Future" is one of the standout albums of 2009. If "my ear" indeed "knows the future" I predict a warm reaction to this release from many of it's listeners.

Standout Tracks: ALL.

No comments:

Post a Comment