Saturday, March 21, 2009

REVIEW: NIN/JA - Janes Addiction Nine Inch Nails Streetsweeper

3.75 out of 10

If you went online March 20th, you would've seen postings everywhere about a "mysterious" new project called "NIN/JA". Can you guess how they came up with that name? I hate to admit it, but it's slightly clever, in a "4th grader kinda way". Anywho, it's a FREE album of unreleased Janes Addiction, Nine Inch Nails, and Streetsweeper(Tom Morello) songs. It's a "sort-of" companion or sampler to the up and coming tour with said bands. Apparently Perry Farrell and Trent Reznor have been hanging out in the studio a lot recently..

The morning of (before I had heard of this release), my buddy was asking me what my "favorite Nine Inch Nails song of all time" is. I told him with a list of over 500 NIN song's it may take me a bit of time to narrow that down. Make that list 502 now. On "NIN/JA" there are 6 tracks, 2 new tracks from each band. I'm pretty excited about this tour, could be NIN's last.. It marks the 20th Anniversary of both Janes Addiction and Nine Inch Nails. They both got there "big starts" together. And come on, those two playing together, it's "peanut butter and jelly" people.

The first track on this album is a new Janes Addiction song titled "Chip Away". "Chip Away" is full of thick and LOUD tribal drums accompanied by Perry Farrell's distinct whaling vocals. The drums are the main, if not only instrument, on this song and they're awesome. Track 2, "Not So Pretty Now" is an unreleased Nine Inch Nails song.. To all of the fans of NIN 2005 and up, you will like this. To all of the NIN fan's that don't care for the newer NIN, ..keep waiting. It's a stereotypical "Rock-refurbished" NIN song, their are a couple of awesome sounds towards the end, but overall, not a "stand out" NIN song. Track 3, "Clap For The Killers" is by Tom Morello's newest project "Streetsweeper", ugh, not a good song. Sounds like recycled RATM as sung by Spider(Powerman 5000). Kind of bluesy, rocky, and (c)rappy. Track 4, "Whores", is the second Janes Addiction song, ..meh, another generic rock song, nothing special at all. I wouldn't think twice about listening to it if it wasn't by Janes Addiction. Track 5, "Non-Entity" the other new NIN song is almost decent, minus the over produced, too loud (not in a good way) horrid drumming. Track 6 = joke. Overall the NIN songs had some decent filler elements, but fell short. Streetsweeper is wretched. And the Janes Addiction songs were ok, but mainly only "Chip Away".

I try not to do negative reviews that often because I realize certain artists pour their heart and souls into their music, but I get excited every time I have a new NIN album in front of me, and I had to mention something about this album. I've been continuously let down since 2005's "With Teeth".. I'm waiting Mr. Reznor, please return from your vacation now. To any die hard fans of these musicians it's worth a look-see, but overall, I'm glad it was FREE.

Standout Tracks: Chip Away

No comments:

Post a Comment