Monday, February 2, 2009

The Scores of Thomas Newman

I saw the new film "Revolutionary Road" last night starring Titanic stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet. It's a great film, with a great script, good direction and a fantastic score.

I've been thinking lately that I should write an article about how t0 me, the last ten years, almost every compelling emotional score sounds like American Beauty's. It turns out Thomas Newman just scores a lot of great movies.

Film scores don't get the hype of popular artists, or the film they affect, but are essential as they are beautiful. If film is a document of our culture/existence than it's music is the document of mankind's emotion.

Thomas Newman has scored at least one Oscar nominated film every year since 1994: The Shawshank Redemption, Little Women, Unstrung Heroes, The People vs. Larry Flynt, Oscar And Lucinda, The Horse Whisperer, American Beauty, The Green Mile, Erin Brockovich, In The Bedroom, Road To Perdition, Finding Nemo, Lemony Snicket's A Series Of Unfortunate Events, Cinderella Man, The Good German, Little Children, and I'm sure Wall-E will get nominated too. He himself has been Nominated eight times, but with no wins.

Thomas Newman has a lasting impact on myself as I'm well as many others I'm sure. And to compliment maestro.-.mischief's Top 20 Soundtracks; Thomas Newman, this is my salute to you.

..You and your
Tom Cruise hair cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment