Sunday, February 8, 2009

REVIEW: Telefon Tel Aviv - Immolate Yourself

8 out of 10

Telefon Tel Aviv are an ever changing machine. Their first album, "Fahrenheit Fair Enough", was "deep-subbed" glitch IDM brilliance, their second, "Map Of What Is Effortless", was R & B/IDM orchestrated beauty, and now on "Immolate Yourself", their last "official" release with original members, they go Shoegaze. Actually, when track 1, "The Birds", starts up, you will wonder "is this Ulrich Schnauss' "Goodbye Pt.2"?

I could easily see how this album is gonna have tons of "mixed" reviews all across the board. But I think this was one of the releases they were always meant to release. The production is solid as usual, the music writing capability has been raised a bar, and the landscapes they create are terrific. I think most Telefon Tel Aviv fans will be complaining about the lack of "IDM" on this release. But what I think TTA fans need to remember is that they are more than just "IDM producers" they are "brilliant sound sculptors" afraid of no genre. The beauty of Immolate Yourself is undeniable.

Every time this band releases a new album they have a new direction. Judging by how great this album is I will forever be curious as to what the "next direction" would have been for them. I'm not sure what my favorite Telefon Tel Aviv album is, maybe "Fahrenheit..", but I thoroughly believe this album is just as great as their previous albums, but different too. This will for sure be a contender for "Best Albums Of 2009". This is Shoegaze with an "electro" style approach. If you are at all a fan of any form of electronic music, or Shoegaze/Dream Pop check this album out, if you haven't done so already. And then go back and collect the rest of this band's short, but INCREDIBLY impressive, catalogue. R.I.P. Charlie Cooper, your legacy has left a permanent impact on me and my ears.

Standout Tracks: The Birds, Helen Of Troy, Mostly Translucent, Stay Away From Being Maybe, Made A Tree On The Wold, Your Every Idol, Immolate Yourself

No comments:

Post a Comment