Monday, February 23, 2009

Map's talks new album.."Turning The Mind"

From James (of Maps):

Hey folks!

It’s me. James. Back to tell you what’s goin on right now, and has been going on since you last heard from me. First of all I hope you are doin good and thanks for takin the time to read this.

I’m gonna write a blog every week from now on to keep you up to date with the latest sh!t that’s goin on. Also, I’m gonna post photos when I’ve figured out how to work my frigging camera! Oh fer sure. Just photos of anything and everything Maps-related.Sooooo.

Here’s an interview I did. It might answer a few questions you may have about WHERE THE F$c& MAPS HAS BEEN FOR THE PAST 6 MONTHS?

But the main thing you should know is I’ve never been more confident and excited about this new album.

"We Can Create" was merely the birth of Baby Maps.

"Turning The Mind" is the fully-formed manifesto.

Q: How are you doin?
A: Cut to the chase. Let’s begin.

Q: So, um, where have you been?
A: I’ve been working in The Contino Rooms on Gray’s Inn Road with soldier of sonic sounds Mr Tim Holmes, from Death In Vegas. He is an awesome awesome guy.

Q: How’s it been goin?
A: Very well indeed. We’ve been working underground in the studio for long hours and got 13 tracks nearly complete. I’m then going choose the tracks which will make the finished record.

Q: How does it differ from the 1st album?
A: Edgier, angrier, more electronic, more personal, more focused and better. Much better.

Q: Where does the title “Turning The Mind” come from?
A: It’s the name given to a practice used by certain doctors and therapists to help people’s lives and change the way people think about life. The themes of the album are related to ‘chemical’ reactions in the brain, both natural and man-made. Depression. Euphoria. It’s a subject I’ve been very close to over the past few years. This is a very cathartic album for me.

Q: Um, so it’s an electronic album about mental illness?
A: Mental states.

Q: And drugs?!
A: No. Chemicals.

Q: Hmmm. Sounds a little pretentious to me.
A: What??!!

Q: O.k. o.k. I’ll reserve judgement. Is it seriously better than the 1st record though?
A: Do I look like I’m f%*king joking?

Q: No.
A: Well then. You may continue.

Q: O.k. thanks. But please don’t wave that knife at me again.
A: Agreed.

Q: So. The music. What have you been listening to and what has formed some of the influence on the new Maps sound?
A: Well. Detroit techno, minimal techno, nu-disco, Nurofen, all things I’ve been playing out when DJing but it still sounds like a Maps record.

Q: How is that possible??
A: A true magician never reveals his secrets. Just ask Paul Daniels.

Q: What about Shoega….
A: Nope!

Q: O.k then. So. Live. Will you be performing with the same band?
A: No.

Q: How will it work then?
A : Very differently. I’m working with a techno DJ called August Jakobson who’s going to help a lot. It’ll be stripped down. I want to get back to the core of what Maps was about in the first place. The heart of what I always wanted it to be.

Q: When will you be playing shows again?
A: May. Hopefully.

Q: Is it true you have also been working with techno legend Oliver Huntemann?
A: Yes he’s going to be doing a couple of mixes. I’m really honoured and excited. He seems like a great guy.

Q: When is the album due for release?
A: Summer hopefully,...

Q: Thank you for your time James. It’s been a pleasure.
A: Is there a Mcdonalds round here?

SOOOO. There you go. Maybe that’s cleared a few things up. Or maybe you’re more confused than you were. But I will update whenever I can and let you know everything that’s goin on.

Keep happy and hopeful. I’ll be back soon.
James xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment