Sunday, January 25, 2009

REVIEW(s): Amp - Astralmoonbeamprojections / Amp - Stenorette

7.75 out of 10

8.5 out of 10

Find it here.

I may be just now getting into Amp, but I can already tell you that they're blooming rather quickly into an obsessive-compulsive/coma-inducing "must own every album by this project" kind of the band. Amp is Bowery Electric mixed with a Lovesliescrushing kind of drone/experimentation. Drone is definitely the key term when it comes to describing Amp, but not the only.

Amp is drenched in reverb drone, flanged guitars, thick synths, "modern" electronic drum loops, plucked piano keys, throbbing "dub-like" bass lines, and of course Karine Charff's indie-grunge-pop vocals which beg for attention underneath all of these pleasing ear treats. Amp sounds like "psychedelic-grunge-dream-pop".

Normally I would only want to review one album at a time, but I got both of these on the same day and it's been pretty hard to take them away from my ears ever since. I can't help but listening to one after the other every time.

Astralmoonbeamprojections is more drug-inducing psychedelic drone, a very good fit for the Kranky label. I'm pretty sure this album could make you feel as if your brain is melting under certain mind altering dealy's(drugs). This almost reminds me of Spectrum at some points.

Stenorette is little more "poppy". Take Astral... add a dose of Cyann and Ben, a more classical piano approach, and more drums, voila! This seriously sounds like a missing Bowery Electric album had they produced just one more.

It's hard to say which of these releases is my favorite. But I would have to say Stenorette has more of "classical-poppy" approach so that one may be more well suited choice if you are just planning on checking these guys out for the first time. Listen to the song "Tomorrow" or "Sunflower" off of Stenorette. Hopefully that'll catch your attention.

Amp is one of my favorite Kranky band's of the moment. I look forward to checking out the rest of their releases. Your mind may like what it gets to ponder when Amp is your soundtrack.

Standout Tracks: Onehopesinuncertainty, Transmigration, Stellata, Polemic, Celestial Return

Standout Tracks: Tomorrow, You Are Here, Songe, Zoe, Tango Non, Sun Flower, Just-Ice

No comments:

Post a Comment