Saturday, January 3, 2009

REVIEW: Seven Percent Solution - Gabriel's Waltz

8 out of 10

I think the first time I ever heard Seven Percent Solution was when I was surfing Yahoo's Lauchcast Radio. This was years ago when I actually had a computer it would run on. I don't know what song it played, or what album it was off of, but I was totally blown away. I spent the next two years looking for it. The bands website hadn't been updated in forever, and as far as I know they broke up along time ago. I ended up buying it off Amazon for like thirty bucks. By that point I had no idea what it sounded like, but I was determined to track it down. Totally worth it.

"Gabriel's Waltz" came out in 1999, and defiantly has a Space-rock rock feel to it. The melody's are slow, lush, pieces of melancholy. The third track, "Carousel", could easily be a Mogwai song. They don't have the pull and build of great epic post rock song, but that's okay for these guys. I think they were just trying to be as mellow as possible. When there are vocals, they're almost whispered. Rarely the focus of the song. and Occasionally the band throws in a sample with religious connotations in between songs (much like Godspeed...). If you ever come across an album by one of these guys I would defiantly pick it up.

Bottom Line: Great Space-rock.

Standout Tracks: Dear Anne, Lullaby, Carousel, Dust And Ashes

No comments:

Post a Comment