Friday, January 16, 2009

REVIEW: Goldmund - The Malady Of Elegance

8 out of 10

I file this artist as another who has yet to let me down. If you are as big a fan of piano as I am, then I'm confident you will sink into this one rather quick. Clean, simple, comforting... I could go on and on about this album which is the second gorgeous milieu from Boston-based composer, Keith Kenniff. Some of you may also know him as Helios.

Goldmund's previous atmospheric beauty, 2005's "Corduroy Road", was a tad better than this one. But if I didn't feel like splitting hairs, I'd tell you without hesitation that they are, for the most part, equally beautiful in my eyes. And I call it a template for a reason. You should never underestimate the power of a good "headphone album", you know the kind. That great album that cannot be appreciated until you've immersed yourself completely in it by way of headphones. This album consists of piano, just piano. And the simplicity of it allows you to add your own ambiance.

For example, the first time I really soaked in Corduroy Road, I was waiting to get my taxes done. And just behind each stunningly heart-stopping note was a thin layer of pure classical Americana. The accompaniment of random indistinguishable voices, squeaky chairs, cash registers, office printers and the bell they hung just over the front door made the music just that much more epic in it's own subtle way. I greatly look forward to head-phoning "The Malady of Elegance" in a crowded subway or a bustling grocery store.

With or without said garnish, Goldmund evokes the very calm we all long for at the end of the day.

Standout Tracks: All of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment